[comp.sys.hp] ARPA Services Problems on 7.0

bb@cypress.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (06/28/90)

In article <5570437@hpfcdc.HP.COM> rml@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lenk) writes:
>As such, a null password in the group file is not a security hole.  It is
>equivalent to a star, except that a star will cause newgrp to prompt
>the user for a password when it will never match.

I tried this, and found out that you are correct.  I am glad to see that
such a gaping hole was not overlooked.  Now, my next question, is why
was this behavior changed?  To my (limited) knowledge, these semantics
are different from both Sys V and BSD derivative systems that I have
used.  Was there a reason for this change, or was it gratuitous?

I DO hope these changes were made in setgid(2), rather than in newgrp(1).

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb

>I DO hope these changes were made in setgid(2), rather than in newgrp(1).

I certainly hope *not*, as in both Sys V and BSD derivative systems that
*I* have used, "setgid()" knows nothing about passwords in the group
file, null or otherwise.  Perhaps you meant something other than
"setgid(2)"?