[comp.sys.hp] Source level debuggers under X for HP-UX 7.0

ram@dptechno.uucp (Ram Natarajan) (07/02/90)

Does anybody know of a good graphics based source level debugger that will
run under X11r3/4 w/ HP-UX 7.0?  I am talking something like "dbxtool"
in the SunView environment. Is something like this included in
the standard distribution that I am not aware of?

The only graphics based debugger I know of is xdbx (source available
from uunet). However, xdbx only supports the Berkeley source debugger
dbx.

Has anybody tried to port xdbx to Sys-V/HP-UX environment?

Thanks for your help,

Ram
--
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Ram Natarajan                             E-Mail-   {...}!uunet!dptechno!ram

bert@hpuamsa.UUCP (Bert van Barneveld TSS) (07/03/90)

>Does anybody know of a good graphics based source level debugger that will
>run under X11r3/4 w/ HP-UX 7.0?  I am talking something like "dbxtool"
>in the SunView environment. Is something like this included in
>the standard distribution that I am not aware of?

You might want to have a look at HP's "SoftBench" product.
It runs under X11, looks pretty much like "dbxtool" but can do a lot more in
a networked environment. Check out the "Softbench encapsulator" too.

Regards,

Bert van Barneveld.
Hewlett-Packard, The Netherlands.

tobbe@isy.liu.se (Torbjorn Kronander) (07/04/90)

bert@hpuamsa.UUCP (Bert van Barneveld TSS) writes:

>>Does anybody know of a good graphics based source level debugger that will
>>run under X11r3/4 w/ HP-UX 7.0?  I am talking something like "dbxtool"
>>in the SunView environment. Is something like this included in
>>the standard distribution that I am not aware of?

>You might want to have a look at HP's "SoftBench" product.
>It runs under X11, looks pretty much like "dbxtool" but can do a lot more in
>a networked environment. Check out the "Softbench encapsulator" too.

>Regards,

>Bert van Barneveld.
>Hewlett-Packard, The Netherlands.

What is the price of Softbench ?
Is it possible to use Softbench with C++, if not so, when will it
be possible ?

Torbjorn Kronander			tobbe@isy.liu.se
Dept. of EE	Linkoping University    Sweden
ph +46 13 28 22 07

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (07/05/90)

|>You might want to have a look at HP's "SoftBench" product.
|>It runs under X11, looks pretty much like "dbxtool" but can do a lot more in
|>a networked environment. Check out the "Softbench encapsulator" too.
|
|>Bert van Barneveld.
|
|What is the price of Softbench ? Is it possible to use Softbench with C++,
|if not so, when will it be possible ?
|
|Torbjorn Kronander			tobbe@isy.liu.se

Yes, it is (will soon be) possible to use SoftBench with C++.  This product
set was announced in June at several trade conferences.  I don't know the
price of SoftBench.  I will include some text from my replies to other
queries and it should help answer some of your questions.

Brad Ahlf	HP Languages Technical Support		bla@hpda.hp.com
...No warranties implied or expressed and all that stuff...

From an answer to a [comp.lang.c++] posting:

Yes, I do know a product similiar to ObjectWorks for C++ that runs under
industry-standard X11 windows on a UN*X platform.  It was announced last
month at several trade shows.  The name is HP C++/SoftBench for HP-UX.
It runs on the Series 300 and Series 800 flavors of workstation from
Hewlett-Packard.  It was also announced that the SoftBench environment
will be licensed to other vendors to promote open systems software
engineering tools.

In my opinion, it is (will be) superior to anything else in the market.
(But, I am biased :-)  This environment includes HP's superior HP C++
product which includes an object-oriented debugger for standard 2.0 C++
cfront code, a X11-based C++ browser/developer tool (C++Developer),
and all of the standard SoftBench open systems software engineering
components such as a build tool, development manager, static analysis
tool, debugger, editor, and more.  The C++Developer (browser/developer)
is also available standalone without the SoftBench CASE environment.

From an answer to another [comp.sys.hp] posting asking about HP C++:

jww@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Jim Wichelman) (07/07/90)

> Does anybody know of a good graphics based source level debugger that will
> run under X11r3/4 w/ HP-UX 7.0?  I am talking something like "dbxtool"
> in the SunView environment. Is something like this included in
> the standard distribution that I am not aware of?

The HP CASE product SoftBench contains a Motif Look & Feel based debugger
with the standard environment.  The default environment also contains an
editor, directory browser/version control tool, a program builder, and
source code static analysis tool.

There is also a C++ and ADA version of SoftBench available.  The C++
debugger has been extended to support class breakpoints and other nifty
stuff.

Check with your local HP sales or field person.

Jim Wichelman
Hewlett-Packard
jww@hpfclp.sde.hp.com