[comp.sys.hp] Pointer to LaserJet problems

panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) (07/13/90)

This is cross-posted from comp.laser-printers

I am trying to find out if anyone have problems with
HP Laser Jet Series II. In last three months we blow out
our parallel board 7 times. We have three PC computers
(two 386(25&33Mhz) and one 286(6Mhz) that are manually
switched on the parallel board and Macintosh IIci hooked
up on the serial port (not at the same time!)
According to their manuals and service we are not doing anything
wrong but they are not willing to test their or our equipment.

I am just wondering if somebody else has same problems and
maybe clue what is going on.

Thank you for any help.

PS.
(Our warranty for HP will expire in a couple of weeks)

It would probably make sense to reply directly to the original posting.
Anybody got any suggestions?

Jon Panek
HP Andover (Medical, not LaserJets)

panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) (07/13/90)

Oops...  Just noticed that there's no mention of the original author of
the note I included in this string's basenote.

> From adasoft@grebyn.com Thu Jun 28 11:32:24 1990
> From: adasoft@grebyn.com (AdaSoft)
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 1990 15:32:24 GMT
> Subject: Problems with HP Laser Jet II
> Newsgroups: comp.laser-printers
> Sender: usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

There, that's better.

Jon (Neurons-R-!us) Panek

kg@elan.Elan.COM (Ken Greer) (07/15/90)

From article <13060004@hp-and.HP.COM>, by panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek):
> This is cross-posted from comp.laser-printers

> I am trying to find out if anyone have problems with
> HP Laser Jet Series II. In last three months we blow out
> our parallel board 7 times. We have three PC computers
> (two 386(25&33Mhz) and one 286(6Mhz) that are manually
> switched on the parallel board and Macintosh IIci hooked
> up on the serial port (not at the same time!)

I recall reading (several years ago) in the HP LaserJet newsletter that
manual switch boxes should *not* be used with the LaserJet because the
surges could blow the interface.  If I remember right, the electronic
switch boxes were OK through.

Ken Greer  Elan Computer Group, Inc. 888 Villa St. 3rd Floor Mt View CA 94041
Phone:     415-964-2200
Internet:  kg@elan.com
UUCP:      {ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!kg