[comp.sys.hp] 7.0 + Yellow Page + rcp BUG / monitor for 7.0 ?

rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (07/18/90)

I've found a bug with Yellow Pages + HP-UX 7.0 (Series 300) + the rcp command.
Our hosts.equiv has +@our_cluster_groups in it, allowing anyone to copy
a file to any other machine using the syntax:

rcp host.username:filename filename

However, this command now fails with HP-UX 7.0 if Yellow Pages is running
with the error 'rcmd: host.username: Unknown host'. Strangely, the command
DOES work if you use rcp host:filename filename (i.e. omit the username).

Fix:

Copy rcp from an HP-UX 6.5 backup - it works perfectly with or without the
username in the command.

On a different tack:

Having upgraded to HP-UX 7.0, we are desperately in need of a version of
monitor for 7.0. Can someone please tell me (or post to this group)
where I can get monitor for 7.0 on the Series 300 (e.g. anonymous ftp) ?

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          ****************************************************

dme@doc.ic.ac.uk (Dave Edmondson) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.154933.12205@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
rkl> rcp host.username:filename filename

the syntax has changed - hp finally caught up.  try:
	rcp username@host:filename filename
i wonder if ultrix 4.0 has caught up yet.....

dave.
--
                            Dave Edmondson
Department of Computing, Imperial College, 180 Queen's Gate, London SW7 1BZ UK

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (07/19/90)

In <1990Jul18.154933.12205@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:

   | I've found a bug with Yellow Pages + HP-UX 7.0 (Series 300) + the rcp
   | command.
   | Our hosts.equiv has +@our_cluster_groups in it, allowing anyone to copy
   | a file to any other machine using the syntax:
   |
   | rcp host.username:filename filename
   |
   | However, this command now fails with HP-UX 7.0 if Yellow Pages is running
   | with the error 'rcmd: host.username: Unknown host'.
   |
   | Fix:
   |
   | Copy rcp from an HP-UX 6.5 backup - it works perfectly with or without the
   | username in the command.

Hmm, I think you missed something. In 7.0, HP has changed the "rcp" command
syntax: a remote user at some machine is now specified as "user@host".
(Well done HP, I hated the "host.user" syntax!)
So, your command should have been:

		rcp username@host:filename filename

Please verify this in the HP-UX 7.0 "Networking Reference" manual.

				good luck,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

kim@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (07/19/90)

rkl> rcp host.username:filename filename

rkl> However, this command now fails with HP-UX 7.0 if Yellow Pages is running
rkl> with the error 'rcmd: host.username: Unknown host'. Strangely, the command
rkl> DOES work if you use rcp host:filename filename (i.e. omit the username).

That's because host.username IS an unknown host.  With HP-UX 7.0 we
got a new syntax which is

	rcp username@host:filename filename

Actually there can be a username and/or hostname specified on either
filename, so you can perform a copy between two machines by giving the
command on a third machine.

rkl> Fix:
rkl> Copy rcp from an HP-UX 6.5 backup - it works perfectly with or without the
rkl> username in the command.

So: DON'T DO THAT!  There's nothing wrong (as far as I know) with the
rcp shipped with HP-UX 7.0.  Only the syntax has changed to the one
used by most BSD machines.

rkl> On a different tack:

rkl> Having upgraded to HP-UX 7.0, we are desperately in need of a version of
rkl> monitor for 7.0. Can someone please tell me (or post to this group)
rkl> where I can get monitor for 7.0 on the Series 300 (e.g. anonymous ftp) ?

I got mine from Customer Service.  It is in a fileset called USRCNTRB
or something like that, and has a note saying "For internal use".  I
don't know if it's ok to put the files under anonymous ftp.  Does
anyone from HP know?  If it is ok (that is: legal and so on), then I
could place them on lut.fi as I have many other packages found to be
running on HP-UX 7.0 available for anonymous ftp also.
--
Kim              ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"That's what    ( Kimmo    ! Lappeenranta U of Technology ! kim@lut.fi )

dlj@hpfcso.HP.COM (Dave Jobusch) (07/20/90)

>/ hpfcso:comp.sys.hp / rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk /  8:49 am  Jul 18, 1990 /
>I've found a bug with Yellow Pages + HP-UX 7.0 (Series 300) + the rcp command.
>Our hosts.equiv has +@our_cluster_groups in it, allowing anyone to copy
>a file to any other machine using the syntax:
>
>rcp host.username:filename filename
>
>However, this command now fails with HP-UX 7.0 if Yellow Pages is running
>with the error 'rcmd: host.username: Unknown host'. Strangely, the command
>DOES work if you use rcp host:filename filename (i.e. omit the username).
>
>Fix:
>
>Copy rcp from an HP-UX 6.5 backup - it works perfectly with or without the
>username in the command.

	Better yet, put the 7.0 rcp back in place and try:

	rcp username@host:filename filename

	I believe that the host.username format went away with 7.0.
	Check out the 7.0 man page for "rcp(1)".

+----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
|          ___         |       David L. Jobusch                              |
|         /  /         |       Distributed Platform Services                 |
| HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD   |       3404 East Harmony Road  MS#68                 |
|       /__/           |       Fort Collins, CO 80525-9599                   |
|  Fort Collins Site   |       Internet: dlj@hpfcla.hp.com                   |
|Information Technology|                                                     |
+----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

>Hmm, I think you missed something. In 7.0, HP has changed the "rcp" command
>syntax: a remote user at some machine is now specified as "user@host".
>(Well done HP, I hated the "host.user" syntax!)

Credit where credit is due; try "Well done, Berkeley" - they changed the
syntax in 4.3BSD (unless somebody at HP was the one who suggested it to
Berkeley in the first place...).

jand@kuling.UUCP (Jan Dj{rv) (07/20/90)

:
:rcp host.username:filename filename
:
:However, this command now fails with HP-UX 7.0 if Yellow Pages is running
:with the error 'rcmd: host.username: Unknown host'. Strangely, the command
:DOES work if you use rcp host:filename filename (i.e. omit the username).
:

Hmm, the syntax changed from the wierd 6.5:ish host.username:filename to the
IMHO much better syntax user@host:filename in 7.0.

The man page for rcp makes this clear.
See also the WARNINGS section in the man page for rcp (7.0 that is) about
mixing pre 7.0 rcp with 7.0 rcp.

	Jan D.