[comp.sys.hp] HP Softbench

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (07/14/90)

Does anyone know if HP's Softbench supports a complete version of
C++, or is it a subset or ???  How well does Softbench work, in general?

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"The tank is full, the switch is on.
The night is warm, the cops are gone."

tobbe@isy.liu.se (Torbjorn Kronander) (07/18/90)

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) writes:

>Does anyone know if HP's Softbench supports a complete version of
>C++, or is it a subset or ???  How well does Softbench work, in general?

>mjb.

>mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

>"The tank is full, the switch is on.
>The night is warm, the cops are gone."

Followup question. Where is C++ for HPUX??!!
We hace tried to ge tit from our local sales-rep but he cannot
manage to order it. In fact when he does the factory handling it
claims the product does not exist...!?

Is anyone using the HP version of C++ out there ?

Torbjorn Kronander			tobbe@isy.liu.se
Dept. of EE	Linkoping University    Sweden
ph +46 13 28 22 07

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (07/19/90)

>Does anyone know if HP's Softbench supports a complete version of
>C++, or is it a subset or ???  How well does Softbench work, in general?
>mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

The current shipping versions of HP SoftBench do NOT fully support C++.
The current HP SoftBench versions can 'limp' along somewhat with C++,
but there are major limitations and it is definitely not "HP supported".
HP announced in June a future version of SoftBench which FULLY supports C++.

The complete SoftBench environment, including a C++ Browser and Development
tool (C++Developer), is called "C++/SoftBench" and a Technical Data Sheet is
available from your local Sales Rep or from the Customer Information Center
(US 1-800-752-0900).  Data sheet part number is 5952-2933 for "C++/SoftBench
for HP-UX" and 5952-2946 for just the "C++Developer for HP-UX" (Browser and
Development tool).  Other data sheets are "HP C++ for HP-UX" 5952-1568 and
"Domain/C++" 5952-0746.

|Followup question. Where is C++ for HPUX??!!
|We hace tried to ge tit from our local sales-rep but he cannot
|manage to order it. In fact when he does the factory handling it
|claims the product does not exist...!?
|Is anyone using the HP version of C++ out there ?
|Torbjorn Kronander			tobbe@isy.liu.se

Your sales rep CAN order it right now!  I am part of the 'factory' for
HP C++ and I can assure you that this product DOES exist!  Perhaps your
sales rep meant that the software distribution 'factory' did not know
that the HP C++ product exists under the sales rep's part number.  Does
your sales rep know about the above technical data sheets?  HP C++ has
been on the 'corporate price list' (CPL) since April 1990.  One possible
problem is that the part numbers on the data sheet have an omission/typo.
For Series 300, order part numbers B1691A and B1693A (not B1691).  Other
information is correct.  The software distribution organization should
be able to correct such orders.  I am checking on this right now.

Now, about shipments.  Blush.  The HP C++ software was submitted to the
HP software manufacturing and distribution center in April and, um, it
is due to ship 'real soon now'.  Seriously, customer shipments of HP C++
are of the 'highest' priority right now in that organization and real
shipments should begin within a couple weeks.  There have been some
production problems along the way that have delayed the shipment more
than once.  My profuse apologies, and also my promise that I (and several
others) am doing EVERYTHING possible to expedite the shipments of HP C++.

Regards,
Brad Ahlf
bla@hpda.hp.com

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

nick@abblund.se (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.084840.4641@isy.liu.se> tobbe@isy.liu.se (Torbjorn Kronander) writes:

>Followup question. Where is C++ for HPUX??!!
>We hace tried to ge tit from our local sales-rep but he cannot
>manage to order it. In fact when he does the factory handling it
>claims the product does not exist...!?
>
>Is anyone using the HP version of C++ out there ?

Yes. We have a beta release. To get it we had to apply to become an
approved beta test site for HP. I guess it comes direct from HP labs
and bypasses the factory. The official release isn't out yet.

It's much better than Glockenspiel's
or Oregon's C++. Glockenspiel's 1.2 compiler had too many bugs. Maybe
their 2.0 version is better. Oregon's compiler couldn't handle large
files, wouldn't compile InterViews, and it's not AT&T standard either.
HP's C++ is the best we've seen, and has a good debugger. It's slow
at compiling though.

--
Nick Hoggard                                   Phone:    + 46 46 168524
Man-Machine Communication Lab                  Fax:      + 46 46 145620

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (07/21/90)

| >Is anyone using the HP version of C++ out there ?

| Yes. We have a beta release. To get it we had to apply to become an
| approved beta test site for HP. I guess it comes direct from HP labs
| and bypasses the factory. The official release isn't out yet.

Actually, for convenience, HP just uses a slightly modified 'beta' agreement
form for 'pre-releases' of software rather than creating a special new legal
form just for pre-releases.  And, you got HP C++ through the factory, and
not directly from the lab.  Only the software manufacturing and distribution
organization was bypassed (due to production problems -- see other posting).
The official HP C++ release will be out extremely soon.  You probably have
the actual 'release' bits.

| It's much better than Glockenspiel's
| or Oregon's C++. Glockenspiel's 1.2 compiler had too many bugs. Maybe
| their 2.0 version is better. Oregon's compiler couldn't handle large
| files, wouldn't compile InterViews, and it's not AT&T standard either.
| HP's C++ is the best we've seen, and has a good debugger. It's slow
| at compiling though.

Thanks for the compliments!  Have you tried using '-g1' instead of '-g'
for speeding up compiles and taking up less disk space when compiling
with debug?  You can read more in /etc/newconfig/HPCXX/ReleaseNotes.
We are working on speeding up the compiles for our next release.

| Nick Hoggard                                   Phone:    + 46 46 168524

Brad Ahlf
bla@hpda.hp.com
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

darryl@hpuorfa.HP.COM (Darryl J. Coppenhaver) (07/25/90)

	Yes, C++ for HP-UX is indeed a product that you can order and
	get delivery of:

		C++ for 9000/300		B16991
		C++ for 9000/808 or 834CH 	92451A
		C++ for 9000/815 	 	92500A
		C++ for 9000/825/832/635 	92501A
		C++ for 9000/835/645	 	92542A
		C++ for 9000/840/845	 	92502A
		C++ for 9000/850/855	 	92503A
		C++ for 9000/870	 	92543A

	Notes: This is a full ATT C++ cfont 2.0 translater compatable
	language system with c++ source debugger and contributed C++ examples.

	Next is c++ support for HP-SoftBench, the softbench is being extend
	to support C++ (editor support, builder (make) support, static code
	analysis, and window source debugger. These products are not yet
	shipping but will be out some time in the fall time frame.

	C++/SoftBench 9000/300
	License		B1636A
	Media & Manuals	B1637A
	Doc Set		B1640A

	C++/SoftBench 9000/800
	License		B1638A
	Media & Manuals	B1639A
	Doc Set		B1640A

	Call you local HP office for more details.

	Darryl Coppenhaver
	darryl@hpuorfa
	<< an employee of HP but not a spokesman for HP>>