[comp.sys.hp] ftp and internet

kim@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (07/20/90)

>>>>> On 20 Jul 90 16:46:21 GMT, roger@zuken.co.jp (Roger Meunier) said:

Roger> I add an entry to /etc/hosts, then do an ftp open I get
Roger> 	ftp: connect: Network is unreachable

Seems like your routing table needs some tuning.  You can see all your
routes by issuing the command

	netstat -r

It should state that the loopback is routed through localhost, your
local network through your own host (only U, not UG both) and finally
it should have a default route through the gateway that connects your
lan to the rest of the Internet.  If you don't see an entry saying
"default", than that's your problem.  If you don't know what the
gateway is, try asking someone working with your local lan.

The place where you need to add this default route is the file

	/etc/netlinkrc

There is a place where to add all routes (search for the word route).
The command to add is something like

	/etc/route add default gateway.domain 1

(the last character is number one, not lowercase L).  Replace the
string gateway.domain with the name of the machine acting as a
gateway.  You also need to add that into your /etc/hosts, unless you
are using DNS (hopefully you are, DNS = Domain Name Service) or if you
don't use DNS, but use YP, then it needs to be found in the YP map
hosts (and hosts.byname, hosts.byaddr).

Hopefully this will help you and all others!
--
Kim              ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"That's what    ( Kimmo    ! Lappeenranta U of Technology ! kim@lut.fi )

roger@zuken.co.jp (Roger Meunier) (07/20/90)

This is a basic question, and I suppose there's a simple answer, but
reading the manual is not getting me anywhere...

What steps do I need to take to configure a Series 300 under HP-UX 7.0
so that I can use (anonymous) ftp with sites on the internet?  When
I add an entry to /etc/hosts, then do an ftp open I get

	ftp: connect: Network is unreachable

which tells me there's some other file that needs adjusting.  How do I
tell the system the route to reach a new remote site?  How do I establish
a direct internet connection?

I have this eerie feeling that I'm missing something really basic here...

Thanks in advance!

--
Roger Meunier @ Zuken, Inc.  Yokohama, Japan	(roger@zuken.co.jp)

roger@zuken.co.jp (Roger Meunier) (07/23/90)

Thanks to all who sent E-mail.

In article <KIM.90Jul20112623@kannel.lut.fi> kim@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) writes:

 >The command to add is something like
 >
 >	  /etc/route add default gateway.domain 1

When I try this, I get:

	# /etc/route add default W.X.Y.Z 1
	add net default: gateway W.X.Y.Z, flags 3
	: add: Network is unreachable

I think my problem is that we are not using an ethernet card to talk
to the outside world.  We use a modem and UUCP.  Is there some way
to specify a route under these circumstances, or do I have to find a
way to use UUCP to accomplish the same thing?  (Does FTP require
real-time connections/responses, or can it "batch" requests/responses?)

Anxiously awaiting a solution...
--
Roger Meunier @ Zuken, Inc.  Yokohama, Japan	(roger@zuken.co.jp)

kim@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (07/30/90)

Roger> 	# /etc/route add default W.X.Y.Z 1
Roger> 	add net default: gateway W.X.Y.Z, flags 3
Roger> 	: add: Network is unreachable

Roger> I think my problem is that we are not using an ethernet card to talk
Roger> to the outside world.  We use a modem and UUCP.  Is there some way

Yes - to use TCP/IP with HP-UX as distributed by HP, you must have an
ethernet card connected to a network.  If you use a modem to connect
somewhere then you must use UUCP and try to find mail servers and/or
anonymous UUCP file servers.  I've never used UUCP so I don't know any
closer how it works.

Of course then there is another way to connect TCP/IP through a serial
port and/or modem.  What you need is a SLIP protocol implementation
(or DialSLIP with a modem, I guess).  Reading comp.sys.hp seems to
indicate, however, that SLIP isn't too available for HP-UX.  See the
many articles on the subject.