[comp.sys.hp] yellow pages

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (10/12/89)

Beware: Yellow Pages not supported !!!!!

After starting up Yellow Pages, I found that sendmail and other
programs do not use the Yellow Pages services (programs using
files like /etc/hosts must be compiled while Yellow Pages is
running so the lookup routines can access the remote server).  I
have to keep a complete /etc/hosts table on every HP on my network.
This is silly, as it bypasses the idea behind Yellow Pages.

When confronted with this, the HP Support Center said that Yellow
Pages were included in HP-UX, but none of the programs really
use them.  He kind'a insinuated that Yellow Pages was put in as
a "tease" to show HP support for standards and to get you to buy HP.
Is this true?  Is there a way to get the sources to sendmail et. al.
and compile them with Yellow Pages running?  Will there be better
support some day?

Severely Disappointed Puppy!

Tony Burzio               * Watch out for that cli
Martin Marietta Labs      *			  f
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *			   f!!!!!!!!!

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (10/13/89)

In article <602@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) writes:

>After starting up Yellow Pages, I found that sendmail and other
>programs do not use the Yellow Pages services

>Is there a way to get the sources to sendmail et. al.
>and compile them with Yellow Pages running?  Will there be better
>support some day?

Yes, you can get the sources to sendmail, ftp, ftpd, remsh and others
"ARPA/Berkeley" services freely by ftp from uunet etc.  What you get is
however the BSD versions, which usually need some tweakng to compile
on HP-UX.  I have some of them ported to HP-UX available for ftp here
at hemuli.atk.vtt.fi.  (No, don't ask for copies by mail.)  I am
pretty sure they are newer versions than HP's.

As has been discussed many times in comp.protocols.tcpip and other
groups, using Yellow Pages for host lookup is not the right thing to
do.  Most people who know what they are talking about usually
recommend junking Yellow Pages for host lookup, and using the Domain
Name System.  HP-UX will support DNS in 7.0, I think.  In the meantime
I also keep the nameserver and resolver library (BIND (Berkeley
Internet Name Daemon) 4.8) sources available here.

And if you aren't connected to the Internet, your /etc/hosts file is
probably so small anyway that you do best by simply copying it every
night to all your hosts, for example using rdist, or a simple script.
--
Tor Lillqvist
Technical Research Centre of Finland, Computing Services (VTT/ATK)

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (rob gabbard) (10/13/89)

In article <602@mmlai.UUCP>, burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) writes:
> Pages were included in HP-UX, but none of the programs really
> use them.  He kind'a insinuated that Yellow Pages was put in as
> a "tease" to show HP support for standards and to get you to buy HP.

We use YP on HP here along with our Suns, SGIs, IBM RTs, Tek XD88s and Convex.
They share the common database for hosts, services, passwd, group, etc. The
problem with Sendmail is that the sendmail.cf file probably has a line like
FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9.] %s which tells it to explicitly look in the /etc/hosts
for known hosts. I don't know the way around this perhaps someone here can
post the solution bacause I could use it too.

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!evgabb)                 _    /|
Technical Development Engineer                  \'o.O'
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        =(___)=
(SDRC)                                             U

ckw@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Chick Webb) (10/14/89)

>As has been discussed many times in comp.protocols.tcpip and other
>groups, using Yellow Pages for host lookup is not the right thing to
>do.  Most people who know what they are talking about usually
>recommend junking Yellow Pages for host lookup, and using the Domain
>Name System.

Very true.  Using YP for hostname lookup is a royal pain.

>              HP-UX will support DNS in 7.0, I think.  In the meantime
>I also keep the nameserver and resolver library (BIND (Berkeley
>Internet Name Daemon) 4.8) sources available here.

Just to clarify, the 7.0 Release of HP-UX will support only BIND and
GATED.

>Tor Lillqvist

Chick Webb                          "Common sense is not so common."
Hewlett-Packard Company              -- Voltaire
Cupertino, CA
UUCP: {ucbvax, etc.}!hpda!ckw
ARPA: ckw@hpda.HP.COM

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (10/14/89)

In article <858@sdrc.UUCP>, evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (rob gabbard) writes:
> problem with Sendmail is that the sendmail.cf file probably has a line like
> FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9.] %s which tells it to explicitly look in the /etc/hosts

Aha!  I changed this file name /etc/hosts to be the NFS file for our Yellow
Pages server (/mmlab/root/etc/hosts) and it works!  Gross, but it works!
Thanks for the tip!

Tony Burzio               * Oh no not another problem!
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

mab@n5pph007.UUCP (Mark Bradford) (07/26/90)

Description of Problem

We are having a severe problem with yellow pages.  The master /etc/passwd
file is becomming corrupted ie mangled lines, lines being appended to the
end, lines being pasted in the middle of the file.  This does not happen
on a regular basis, and we have not detected a pattern as yet.

Description of Environment

We are running HPUX 7.0 on a network of HP9000 / 8xx's and HP9000 / 3xx's.
We use an ethernet network with Cisco terminal servers and gateways.  To my
knowledge our network software is current.

The yellow pages master server is an HP9000 / 840.  We have several slave
servers that are on different subnets from the master.  These slaves are
either HP9000 / 8xx's or HP9000 / 3xx's.

Description of Application

We use the yppasswd C function in the NFS library - see yppasswdd in 3N of the
man pages.  This allows us to use password aging, and to prevent users from
using the same password over and over.

On the master server we have rpc.yppasswdd running with NOPUSH=1 in order to
prevent the password maps being pushed around every time someone updates their
password.  Each of the slave servers does a ypxfr_1perhour on a staggered basis.

Other Observations

In certain situations ypmake seems to begin running uncontrollably.
A new ypmake is spawned every few seconds - The yp password maps are
not updated during this time.  The only way to stop this from happening
is to kill the yppasswdd daemon.  The only time we were able to recreate
this event, there did not appear to be any corruption of the /etc/passwd
file either before it began or after I killed the yppasswdd daemon.  I may
have killed it too soon.   If someone tries to update their password while
this is going on, the /etc/passwd file gets updated but the yp password
maps do not.

If any one has any idea about what may be going on, please let me know.

mab@n5pph007.UUCP (Mark Bradford) (07/31/90)

I apologize if this is a duplicate, I am not sure if my previous post made it
out.