[comp.sys.hp] HP-3000 users

eduardo@m2xenix.psg.com (Eduardo Salom) (07/28/90)

>from: eduardo@m2xenix.psg.com (Eduardo Salom)

Good to know that at least there is another 3k user around!
As some time ago I left a question about the format of AdvLink directories
and no one wrote a single word I guessed that there were no 3k users.
I left my question also in Support Line, they call me the next morning to
clarify what I wanted and a few days later but only to said that no one
knew the format of this file. The questions from outside USA are routed to
the local support, this is a painly slow procedure. For certain questions
I prefer the users experience more than the HP 'official point of view'.
Most of the questions I have asked HP in the last 10 years are still waiting
for a reply. Two years ago I found that in certain conditions one of the
procedures in SL did funny things. I reported the bug and as I need urgently
a patch or a workaround I put myself to debug the SL procedure. I found the
error (a Byte pointer loaded from a Word pointer without shifting) and
patched the SL reporting all to the Labs. One year later and 4 MIT's after
the problem still was there. As the segment was modified I must look for the
new location of the bad instruction and patch it again 4 times! Each time I
modified the SL I reported it. Well now I would like to find some 1k user!

--
Eduardo J. Salom   |  eduardo@psg.com    ..!uunet!m2xenix!eduardo
SoftWare Plus SA   |  BIX: swp   CIS: [73000,74]  swp@dci2sp.das.net

dhandly@hpcllz2.HP.COM (Dennis Handly) (07/31/90)

> I found the
> error (a Byte pointer loaded from a Word pointer without shifting) and
> patched the SL reporting all to the Labs. One year later and 4 MITs after
> the problem still was there. As the segment was modified I must look for the
> new location of the bad instruction and patch it again 4 times!

What was the procedure, what are your SR numbers?
I've seen a similar problems except it was a trivial case.  It was only for
range checking and if you didn't pass any items for one of the 'info'
intrinsics.  I'm surprised that you've gotten 4 MITs in a year. :-)

Of course I mostly use my XL systems which are on 2.1 vs. V delta 5.

eduardo@m2xenix.psg.com (Eduardo Salom) (08/03/90)

Subject: Re: HP-3000 users

in message <3770058@hpcllz2.HP.COM> dhandly@hpcllz2.HP.COM (Dennis Handly) says:

> What was the procedure, what are your SR numbers?
I don't know, as HP Argentina was the owner of the machine I was using to do
that work HP/Arg reported it. I saw several TLX interchanged with ???? Wang
(Nancy comes to my mind but I know she had another name Linda? Suzie?)

> intrinsics.  I'm surprised that you've gotten 4 MITs in a year. :-)
Ouch! me too!! I meant 4 Deltas :-) If my memory don't fails I discovered it
with T-Delta 4, and wasn't patched until the release of the V MIT.

I was told that that SL segment (RPG'IO'WORKSTN) was coded outside HP so
I guess that the problem was there.