[comp.sys.hp] HP ftp-able X server

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (08/02/90)

Great to have HP sources on the net.  The original posting
describes how to FTP the sources.  Some of us, however, have
to live with a UUCP drop from a central Internet site.  How about
a shar'ed version of the files so mail will work?

Can an automatic archive server (a la netlib at uunet) be set up
so we can send a mail request for archived sources?  Perhaps
an up-to-date copy of the X contributed software could be
located on this server? (aren't we greedy :-)

You could even raise support costs, if it'll help (no skin off
MY nose :O).  Of course, HP will have to come up with better UUCP
instructions if they want to promote the use of INTERNET...

Tony Burzio               * ...the little ship was lost...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

tml@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (08/03/90)

In article <6@gauss.mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>Great to have HP sources on the net.  The original posting
>describes how to FTP the sources.

No it didn't.  What the posting announced was a pre-compiled X11R4
server executable for the series 300 *and* 400.  This is mainly of
interest to people who have run the HP server from the MIT X11R4
distribution (where the HP device dependent bits aren't distributed in
source form either, which probably means that HP can give away better
code than they could if they gave away source), and thus grown
accustomed to the X11R4 extensions like SHAPE.  Those who run only HP
supplied X, Motif window manager only, etc, probably couldn't care
less.

>Some of us, however, have
>to live with a UUCP drop from a central Internet site.

>Tony Burzio
>mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net

If you are an UUNET customer, why don't you ask them to ftp the stuff
for you, and uucp it over to you?  I would expect them to do this kind
of service for a relatively small fee.
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

jbb@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Jim B. Byers) (08/04/90)

>No it didn't.  What the posting announced was a pre-compiled X11R4
>server executable for the series 300 *and* 400.  This is mainly of
>interest to people who have run the HP server from the MIT X11R4
>distribution (where the HP device dependent bits aren't distributed in
>source form either, which probably means that HP can give away better
>code than they could if they gave away source), and thus grown
>accustomed to the X11R4 extensions like SHAPE.

Yes, these folks definitely should find it useful and worth ftp-ing.

> Those who run only HP
>supplied X, Motif window manager only, etc, probably couldn't care
>less.

I would disagree with you here.  The performance of this server on the 98550
card is much snappier on the 98550 card than with the standard 7.0 server.
Since it can be used with no modifications to the existing 7.0 standard
setup, it is a real win for most people with these displays.  As has been
noted the performance improvement is less dramatic on other displays.
As always, your mileage may vary.

Jim Byers
HP Interface Technology Operation
Lab/Marketing Team
"The X11/Motif/Vue folks in Corvallis Or."

"Have You hugged your workstation today?"