[comp.sys.hp] BUG: incorrect argument to gethostname

ji@close.cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (08/16/90)

The gethostname(2) system call has the following syntax:

	int gethostname(name, length)
	char *name;
	int length;

Older implementations needed the length argument to be an int *, and
the length paramenter was a value-result parameter. I compiled such a
program, and tried running it on my HP-9000/350 running HP-UX 7.0, and
instead of getting a segmentation violation (the length being in the
billions, since it was an address in the stack), the kernel crashed
with a bus error.

If anyone at HP is reading this, please consider fixing it in some future
release.

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 5510
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027

gordon@maxwell.waterloo.edu (Gordon R. Strachan) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug15.223852.10037@cs.columbia.edu> ji@close.cs.columbia.edu (John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis) writes:
>The gethostname(2) system call has the following syntax:
>	int gethostname(name, length)
>	char *name;
>	int length;
>Older implementations needed the length argument to be an int *, and
>the length paramenter was a value-result parameter. I compiled such a

I submitted a bug report on that one at the start of the summer.  About
three weeks ago I got a letter back saying that the bug would be fixed in
the next release of the O/S.

Gordon