[comp.sys.hp] playing audio CDs on HP CD-ROM drive

ji@close.cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (08/04/90)

I recently got an HP CD-ROM drive (it's really a Toshiba drive
packaged as Option 004 with my 2213 mass storage system).

I have successfully managed to mount a CD-ROM as a filesystem
and read it, no problem with that.

However, I would very much like to be able to play audio CDs while
I'm not using the drive. The only documented way of doing that
is opening the box (a royal pain), changing the DIP Switch settings
in the back of the drive (a bit dangerous, since it involves moving
the flex cables) and power-cycling (out of the questions, since that
would power-cycle my root disk!)

I know you can play audio CDs on the IBM RS/6000 and on the Sun
CD-ROM drives. Why not on the HPs? Am I missing something?

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 5510
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027

millsad@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Alan Mills) (08/06/90)

We have an HP 600A CD-ROM drive as a stand-alone peripheral (i.e.
it's not one module in a C2212A mass storage system).  I have
played audio CDs in this without any difficulty; HP even provide
a socket for a headphone jack.
Incidentally, I was told that the 600A CD player is made by Philips
but perhaps my informant was trying to please me!

Alan Mills         Philips Research Laboratories
   Cross Oak Lane, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5HA, U.K
            Telephone +44 0293 785544

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) (08/10/90)

millsad@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Alan Mills) writes:

>played audio CDs in this without any difficulty; HP even provide
>a socket for a headphone jack.
Ah, what is the port number? I would like to do a
telnet <your_computer> <port_number> :-)

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

millsad@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Alan Mills) (08/14/90)

I received some mail about this which asked me to expand a little
on my earlier posting.  Just to make sure that what I said was
correct, I tried again and, in fact, I'm listening to a CD as I
write this (Borodin, if you're interested).
All that I do is to put the CD into the HP-supplied 'caddy' and
insert it into the drive.  After a few seconds it begins to play
and you can listen to it using headphones plugged into the jack
on the front of the drive.  There is a volume control but, of
course, no way to select tracks.  I did try to mount a CD to see
if the laserrom software could access it but alas it didn't seem
to be a filesystem!  Mounting the CD into the caddy is rather
fiddly and it has to be inserted with the label uppermost.  I had
better not complain about the caddy though - I am told that it is
a Philips idea.

To repeat what I said earlier, my drive is an HP Series 6100 Model
600/A HP-IB CD-ROM drive.  I haven't seen the Series 6000 Model
330S or 660S mass storage systems which take a CD-ROM player as
one of their modules but, from the brochure which I have, it would
seem that they have similar audio facilities.

I am looking forward to a future release of 'Softbench' with the
possibility of configuring your environment with audio options.
Just think: edit to Ellington or Elgar, debug to Debussy or the
Doors.  All at the click of a mouse button!  Just remember that
you heard it here first!

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (08/15/90)

    I received some mail about this which asked me to expand a little
    on my earlier posting.  Just to make sure that what I said was
    correct, I tried again and, in fact, I'm listening to a CD as I
    write this (Borodin, if you're interested).
    All that I do is to put the CD into the HP-supplied 'caddy' and
    insert it into the drive.  After a few seconds it begins to play
    and you can listen to it using headphones plugged into the jack
    on the front of the drive.  There is a volume control but, of
    course, no way to select tracks.

I seem to remember reading in a manual just yesterday that you could select
tracks by tapping the eject button lightly.  You'll have to try it for
yourself, though.  I haven't got a CD-ROM drive to verify it with.

cricket

ferneau@hpinddacup.hp.com (Mark Ferneau) (08/18/90)

/ hpindda:comp.sys.hp / cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) /  9:06 am  Aug 15, 1990 /

> I seem to remember reading in a manual just yesterday that you could select
> tracks by tapping the eject button lightly.  You'll have to try it for
> yourself, though.  I haven't got a CD-ROM drive to verify it with.
>
> cricket

Wow cricket, you must have a special version--mine has no eject button...
I have a 6100 600/A.

--Mark

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (08/21/90)

    > I seem to remember reading in a manual just yesterday that you could
    > select tracks by tapping the eject button lightly.  You'll have to
    > try it for yourself, though.  I haven't got a CD-ROM drive to verify
    > it with.

    Wow cricket, you must have a special version--mine has no eject
    button...  I have a 6100 600/A.

Actually, I haven't got one at all.  But my manual (an HP6000-series SCSI
device manual) mentioned something about changing tracks - have you got any
buttons at all on the front?  Maybe power?  1/2 :-)

cricket