[comp.sys.hp] HP LaserJet III on an Ultrix 3.0 system

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (08/21/90)

I am trying to get a LaserJet III to work on an Ultrix system.  I have
a script which, before outputting the file,  does a:

	stty 9600 cs7 -cstopb -pass8 -parenb

Which should (theoretically) set the line to no parity, 7 bits, 1 stop bit.
There seems to be some parity problem though, and many characters are
being converted to (the character | 0x80) -- That is, the high order
bit is being turned on as if some kind of output parity is being done.
So my question -- How do i get Ultrix to turn off this output parity?

Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
UNIX Systems Group			...!rutgers!columbia!howie

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug20.205810.3656@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) writes:

>I am trying to get a LaserJet III to work on an Ultrix system.  I have
>a script which, before outputting the file,  does a:
>
>	stty 9600 cs7 -cstopb -pass8 -parenb
>
>Which should (theoretically) set the line to no parity, 7 bits, 1 stop bit.

Why 7 bits? It will limit you on a lot of the more interesting uses
for an LJIII. The following very simple printcap entry works for me:

ljet|lp1|1:\
	:af=/usr/adm/lp1acct:\
	:br#9600:\
	:fc#0177777:\
	:fs#023:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lp1err:\
	:lp=/dev/tty01:\
	:mx#0:\
	:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:\
	:pl#66:\
	:pw#80:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd1:\
	:xc#0177777:\
	:xs#044000:\
	:sh:

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland