[comp.sys.hp] Hanging non-HP SCSI drives on an HP 9000/370

hearn@randvax.UUCP (Tony Hearn) (08/18/90)

We have a spare 300 Mbyte SCSI disk made by Emulex which noone else is
using, so I am trying to hang it on a 98265A SCSI disc interface on a
9000/370.  I'm pretty sure I have the device files correctly set up, and
indeed mediainit (with no optional arguments) completes without obvious
errors.  However, newfs complains quickly that there's no space left on the
device.  Moreover, diskinfo gives the following report:

/dev/rdsk/0s0
	     vendor: EMULEX
	 product id: MD21/S2     ESDI
	       type: direct access device
	       size: 589826 bytes
   bytes per sector: 1

whereas the disktab entry I've created says:

EMULEX_noswap|EMULEX:\
	:no swap:ns#34:nt#15:nc#1225:\
	:s0#624750:b0#8192:f0#1024:\
	:se#512:rm#3600:

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Tony Hearn
(hearn@rand.org)

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (08/19/90)

re: > We have a spare 300 Mbyte SCSI disk made by Emulex ...

> Moreover, diskinfo gives the following report:
>                size: 589826 bytes
>                      ^^^^^^
>    bytes per sector: 1
>                      ^^ say what?
>
> whereas the disktab entry I've created says:
>
>         :s0#624750:b0#8192:f0#1024:\
>             ^^^^^^

You have declared the disk to be bigger than it is.  newfs always starts
with a reality-check, trying to seek to the last sector.  It's not there.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@hpfcrjn.FC.HP.COM       3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (08/22/90)

In article <2654@randvax.UUCP> hearn@randvax.UUCP (Tony Hearn) writes:

>EMULEX_noswap|EMULEX:\
>	:no swap:ns#34:nt#15:nc#1225:\
>	:s0#624750:b0#8192:f0#1024:\
>	:se#512:rm#3600:
>
>Can anyone help me with this?

I think the problem here is that you have defined the number of sectors
per track using 512 byte sectors, rather that the 1k bytes required.
Try using ns=17 and s0=312,375. If the other information is correct,
this should work.

-jem
--
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn