[comp.sys.hp] Problem with /bin/sh in HP-UX 5.11, has it been fixed?

bernd@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au (Bernd Wechner) (08/25/90)

There is a known bug in our shell which causes problems with Cnews shell
scripts. It incorrectly interprets code like this:

VAR=""
case "$VAR" in
   "") echo EMPTY;;
   *)  echo FULL;;
esac

echoing FULL rather than EMPTY.

We are running HP-UX 5.11 on an HP9000 series 500.
uname -a yields "HP-UX bhpcpd 05.11 B 9030X 2304A00202"

Has this bug been fixed? If so, what version would I need?

As an aside, the following works fine (echoing EMPTY):

VAR=""
case $VAR in
   "") echo EMPTY;;
   *)  echo FULL;;
esac

So, this is how I work around it for the time being.

Thanks.
--
Bernd Wechner, Research Officer                     (bernd@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au)
BHP Coated Products Division, Research and Technology Centre

smith@groucho (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug24.174549.7785@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au> bernd@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au (Bernd Wechner) writes:
>There is a known bug in our shell which causes problems with Cnews shell
>scripts. It incorrectly interprets code like this:
>
>VAR=""
>case "$VAR" in
>   "") echo EMPTY;;
>   *)  echo FULL;;
>esac
>
>echoing FULL rather than EMPTY.
>
>We are running HP-UX 5.11 on an HP9000 series 500.
>uname -a yields "HP-UX bhpcpd 05.11 B 9030X 2304A00202"
>
>Has this bug been fixed? If so, what version would I need?

Its works correctly in both 6.5 and 7.0.
                                          __
                                         |  | My employer will disavow any
-----------------------------            |  | knowledge of my actions.
William Smith                            |. |
Microelectronics Research Center         \  |
University of Idaho                      /   \
Moscow, ID  83843                        |    \
(208)885-6500                            |     \
                                         |      ---|
E-mail:   wsmith@groucho.mrc.uidaho.edu  |         |
----------------------------             |         |
                                         |----------

joseph@hpuplca.HP.COM ( Joseph Hohl ) (08/28/90)

> There is a known bug in our shell which causes problems with Cnews shell
> scripts. It incorrectly interprets code like this:
>
> VAR=""
> case "$VAR" in
>    "") echo EMPTY;;
>    *)  echo FULL;;
> esac
>
> echoing FULL rather than EMPTY.
>
> We are running HP-UX 5.11 on an HP9000 series 500.
> uname -a yields "HP-UX bhpcpd 05.11 B 9030X 2304A00202"
>
> Has this bug been fixed? If so, what version would I need?
> --

It seems to have been fixed.  My uname yields:

	  HP-UX hpuplca 05.21 B 9020X 2240A00271

but it is actually release 5.3.  I tried your test and came out with
EMPTY rather than FULL like you did.

> Bernd Wechner, Research Officer                   (bernd@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au)
> BHP Coated Products Division, Research and Technology Centre
> Port Kembla, New South Wales, Australia.
> ----------

Joseph

ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere) (08/29/90)

>>  There is a known bug in our shell which causes problems with Cnews shell
>>  scripts. It incorrectly interprets code like this:
>>
>>  VAR=""
>>  case "$VAR" in
>>     "") echo EMPTY;;
>>     *)  echo FULL;;
>>  esac
>>
>>  echoing FULL rather than EMPTY.
>>
>>  We are running HP-UX 5.11 on an HP9000 series 500.
>>  uname -a yields "HP-UX bhpcpd 05.11 B 9030X 2304A00202"
>>
>>  Has this bug been fixed? If so, what version would I need?

Another Series 500 person! Yea! (We have to stick together, yes?).

I ran both of your tests (with the "" and without) on our 500 and got EMPTY
for both of them. uname -a is HP-UX vantage 05.21 B 9030X 2304A00475.

As you can see, we are running 5.21.

By the way, lest a previous response stating that
>>  Its works correctly in both 6.5 and 7.0.
cause any confusion -- I think the poster is referring to something other
than series 500 -- as I believe the versions for series 500 went
5.11, 5.21, and then stopped at 5.3.

Hope this helps.

Ray Liere
Vantage Consulting and Research Corporation
voice: (503)657-7294
uucp: uunet!nwnexus.WA.COM!vantage!ray
       -or-
      uunet!nwnexus!vantage!ray