[comp.sys.hp] binary file transfer using kermit

atul@NCoast.ORG (Atul Parulekar) (08/30/90)

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but cannot seem to transfer binary files
from another computer (PDP 11/73) to an HP 9000/370 running HP-UX ver 6.2.
I tried setting the file type to fixed on the PDP.  The PDP kermit was in the
server mode and I tried getting the files on the HP.  I also tried sending files
from the PDP and receiving them on the HP.  No success.
ASCII files transfer correctly.  Any suggestions?

kay@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.005001.2910@NCoast.ORG>, atul@NCoast.ORG (Atul Parulekar) writes:
> I don't know what I am doing wrong, but cannot seem to transfer binary files
> from another computer (PDP 11/73) to an HP 9000/370 running HP-UX ver 6.2.
> I tried setting the file type to fixed on the PDP.  The PDP kermit was in the
> server mode and I tried getting the files on the HP.  I also tried sending files
> from the PDP and receiving them on the HP.  No success.
> ASCII files transfer correctly.  Any suggestions?

I've never used Kermit on a PDP or HP system but under VMS and on IBM PCs
Kermit has the comand

 SET FILE TYPE BINARY

The default transfer type is ASCII that's why ASCII files transfer correctly.

--
Jim Kay
kay@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

danh@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Dan Herington) (09/05/90)

On HP-UX kermit has a -i option for binary files.  This should be set on
the sending system.

I don't know if a similar option is available on the PDP.

Dan

                               Dan Herington
                             Technical Support
                   HP OpenView Network Management Server

HP Cupertino Networks Division                      danh@hpindda.cup.hp.com
19420 Homestead Rd. (43LK)                          Dan HERINGTON/HP6600/UM
Cupertino, CA 95014                                          (408) 447-2849
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.