[comp.sys.hp] Caps-Lock indicator on hp9000?

jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) (08/29/90)

We're using HP 9000/360 with preconfigured hp-ux 7.0 with all the fancy
Motif window stuff.  One draw back with this config. and HP workstations in
general is that there is no visual indication of current CAPS-LOCK key.  On
our Dec's and Mac's there is a LED on the keyboard.  If I remember correctly,
on HP terminals there was an indicator between the sets of function keys on
the bottom of the display.

So I'm asking: Is there a function of the XSession or the HPterm which will
visually indicate CAPS-LOCK is active?  How 'bout some other way?--
Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc.                    Real programmers can write
jsd@esl.com                                 Fortran in any language.

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (08/30/90)

In <316@esl.ESL.COM> jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) writes:

   | We're using HP 9000/360 with preconfigured hp-ux 7.0 with all the fancy
   | Motif window stuff.  One draw back with this config. and HP workstations in
   | general is that there is no visual indication of current CAPS-LOCK key.
   |
   | So I'm asking: Is there a function of the XSession or the HPterm which will
   | visually indicate CAPS-LOCK is active?  How 'bout some other way?--

"Some other way" is to disable or re-map the CAPS-LOCK key (that's what
I do :-]) If you're running X11 you can use the "xmodmap" program to
re-map the CAPS-LOCK key: I have it re-mapped to CTRL (the key directly
to its right-hand side).

This is what I put in my $HOME/.login file:

	xmodmap .keymap.km

and this is the file "$HOME/.keymap.km":

	! This file is input for xmodmap
	! It removes the Caps key and the Enter key (left below) and
	! changes them both into alternative Cntr keys.
	!
	! 15 = Break/Reset
	! 55 = Caps
	! 87 = Enter
	!
	keycode 55 = Control_R
	keycode 87 = Control_R
	keycode 15 = Escape
	clear Lock
	add Control = Control_R

			hope this helps,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) (09/07/90)

In article <3723@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) writes:
>In <316@esl.ESL.COM> jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>
>   | So I'm asking: Is there a function of the XSession or the HPterm which will
>   | visually indicate CAPS-LOCK is active?  How 'bout some other way?--
>
>"Some other way" is to disable or re-map the CAPS-LOCK key (that's what
>I do :-]) ...more...

Up till now we've just removed the key-cap from the keyboard.  That helped.
In our last shipment of workstations we got a keyboard with 2 "CTRL" key-caps
and no "Caps" key-cap.  Now we know what to do with that keyboard ;-)