[comp.sys.hp] File transfers from HP1000

eva@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eva Placko) (09/05/90)

We have an HP1000 running the RTE-A v4.0 operating system.  We would like to
transfer files from the HP1000 to an MS-DOS PC.  We have Kermit running on the
PC but have not been able to get a Kermit onto the HP1000. (I can get the
sources for the HP Kermit on an MS-DOS disk or to a VAX/VMS system but have
trouble transferring them to the HP).

	  Does anyone have a working (preferrably executable) version
of Kermit for the HP1000 with RTE-A, on a diskette that can be mailed to me?

	Is there perhaps another communications package that I can get for
the PC or the HP1000 that will allow me to transfer files?

	Kermit on the PC also allows session logging where all that appears on
the screen on the HP (while in terminal emulation mode from the PC) is
captured into an MS-DOS disk file.  However, since Kermit uses the XON/XOFF
flow control and the HP uses ENQ/ACK, I have been unsuccessful with even
getting a file transferred this way.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--

Eva Placko
Computing and Communications Services

tml@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (09/06/90)

In article <6873.26e4eaa2@uwovax.uwo.ca> eva@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eva Placko) writes:
	We have Kermit running on the PC but have not been able to get
	a Kermit onto the HP1000. (I can get the sources for the HP
	Kermit on an MS-DOS disk or to a VAX/VMS system but have
	trouble transferring them to the HP).

	Does anyone have a working (preferrably executable) version of
	Kermit for the HP1000 with RTE-A, on a diskette that can be
	mailed to me?

If you cannot get the HP1000 Kermit *sources* transferred to the HP1000
from a PC or VAX, how do you expect to transfer the *binary*?
(Sorry if I understood you wrong.)

	Is there perhaps another communications package that I can get
	for the PC or the HP1000 that will allow me to transfer files?

Well HP sells "AdvanceLink," it runs on both the PC and the HP1000.

	However, since Kermit uses the XON/XOFF flow control and the
	HP uses ENQ/ACK, I have been unsuccessful with even getting a
	file transferred this way.

You can turn the Enq/Ack off if you want.  The exact command depends
on what kind of MUX you have, and I don't remember them very well any
longer.
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

medli@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Dave Medlicott) (09/06/90)

>	Is there perhaps another communications package that I can get for
>the PC or the HP1000 that will allow me to transfer files?

	The following are some of the options you have for transfering
files between a PC and the HP1000:

	1) Kermit - This is available from one or more of the following:
		    a) INTEREX - The HP International User Group
		       585 Maude Court
		       P.O. Box 3439
		       Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3439

		    b) CUCCA (Columbia University Computer Center)
		       New York, N.Y. 10027

		    c) Don Wright - ICT Co.
		       Lake Elmo, Minn.

	2) AdvanceLink on the PC (HP Part# 68333F) and MONITOR on the HP1000.
	   MONITOR is supplied with RTE-A.

	3) Reflections (available from Walker, Richer and Quinn in Seattle) on
	   the PC and XMODM on the 1000. XMODM is available through INTEREX.

Both AdvanceLink and Reflections are terminal emulator and file transfer
programs available on the PC. I use AdvanceLink most often, but have used
both Reflections and Kermit in the past.

>                                     However, since Kermit uses the XON/XOFF
>flow control and the HP uses ENQ/ACK, I have been unsuccessful with even
>getting a file transferred this way.

	Both the C and D versions of the mux card (12040C/D) can be configured
to disable ENQ/ACK and enable XON/XOFF. So, this should work. However, if you
are using the 12005A (Async Interface Card) then you will have to update your
software to a later rev (5.2 has just been released), in order to get the
newest drivers for that card (ID100 and DDC00). The newer drivers allow you
to disable ENQ/ACK and enable XON/XOFF.

	I hope this helps.

Dave Medlicott
Data Systems Operation

phil@hpsmdca.HP.COM (Philip Walden) (09/07/90)

The HP Computer User Group Interex has a contributed library with
Kermit/1000 on it.

Contact: Steve Souza
	 Interex
	 585 Maude Court
	 P.O. Box 3439
	 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3439

	 phone: 408 738-4848
	 bbs:   408 773-8018

medli@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Dave Medlicott) (09/07/90)

In a previous response, I said:

>	Both the C and D versions of the mux card (12040C/D) can be configured
> to disable ENQ/ACK and enable XON/XOFF. So, this should work. However, if you
> are using the 12005A (Async Interface Card) then you will have to update your
> software to a later rev (5.2 has just been released), in order to get the
> newest drivers for that card (ID100 and DDC00). The newer drivers allow you
> to disable ENQ/ACK and enable XON/XOFF.

	OOPS! The C-Mux can only do XON/XOFF when sending data out. It can't
do it on input. The 12005A cannot do XON/XOFF with any driver. So, the
recommended solution is to upgrade to the D-Mux. This can be done by ordering
HP part# 12040-67806. Also, you will need the latest software to use this
upgrade.

Dave Medlicott
Data Systems Operation