[comp.sys.hp] HP-UX BSD Sockets in C lib ?

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) (09/10/90)

HPUX has ARPA services, ie telnet, ftp, smtp, etc.  What I would
like to know is does the c library support socket calls, like
my favorites:

connect(2), accept(2), bind(2), socket(2), listen(2) .

In case your still wondering - the protos are:

connect( int s, struct sockaddr *name, int namelen);
accept( int s, struct sockaddr *name, int *addrlen);
bind ( int s, struct sockaddr *name, int namelen);
socket(int domain, type, protocol);
listen(int s, backlog);

I need these to write software that will connect to some special
services on our network.

Jeff

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) (09/11/90)

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) writes:

| HPUX has ARPA services, ie telnet, ftp, smtp, etc.  What I would
| like to know is does the c library support socket calls, like
| my favorites:
	As far as I know HPUX has implemented sockets on top of streams.
	You will be able to use all Berkeley socket library calls.

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (09/11/90)

In comp.sys.hp, vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) writes:

> HPUX has ARPA services, ie telnet, ftp, smtp, etc.  What I would
> like to know is does the c library support socket calls, like
> my favorites:
>
> connect(2), accept(2), bind(2), socket(2), listen(2) .

     Yes, of course.  :-)

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

tml@sottuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (09/11/90)

In article <7506@star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp@cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
	   As far as I know HPUX has implemented sockets on top of streams.

Absolutely not.  There are no STREAMS in HP-UX.  (At least in 7.0, who
knows about upcoming versions.)  HP-UX has real sockets.  That doesn't
mean you can just compile any program that compiles on SunOS, Ultrix
or BSD, though.  There are subtle differences, but all basic socket
stuff works as expected.
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland