[comp.sys.hp] HP Novice question

tom@mills.berkeley.edu (Thomas Richard Erbe) (09/13/90)

	We have been offered a pair of HP9000/320s that have HPUX version
6.0 and thin ethernet interfaces.  These boxes would be useful to us if
there is a way to ftp to/from them (to a network of NeXTs and Macs).  But
looking through the manual set, I could find no mention of ftp.  Is there
an ftp available?

thanks much,

--
tom erbe * technical director * center for contemporary music * mills college
  tom@mills.berkeley.edu * po box 9201, oakland, ca  94613 * (415) 430-2191

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (09/14/90)

tom> But looking through the manual set, I could find no mention of
tom> ftp.

That's only because we shipped the ARPA/Berkeley networking services
references in a separate set of manuals.

tom> Is there an ftp available?

Yes.  I don't recall if they we're bundled with HP-UX in 6.0, though,
nor if there's a reasonable way to the the old 6.0 ARPA services.
My recommendation would be to:

1) look around the file system to see if they're installed.

2) try to find the install/update tapes and see if you can find one for
    ARPA services.

3) consider updating the system to the 7.0 release.  Since this release
    has some nice features like Motif and faster compilers, Job Control,
    POSIX and XPG/2+ conformant, ANSI C conformant libs and headers,
    etc., it may be worth your while.

Your HP sales rep can tell you how to order HP-UX Release 7.0

Rob

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep12.202520.6936@agate.berkeley.edu> tom@mills.berkeley.edu (Thomas Richard Erbe) writes:

>	We have been offered a pair of HP9000/320s that have HPUX version
>6.0 and thin ethernet interfaces.  These boxes would be useful to us if
>there is a way to ftp to/from them (to a network of NeXTs and Macs).  But
>looking through the manual set, I could find no mention of ftp.  Is there
>an ftp available?

HP does indeed have ftp and various other network services available under
HPUX.  It is a separate product set, so unless you ordered it or the boxes
come with the ARPA/NS software stuff, it won't be in the standard manuals.

It inlcudes things like ftp, rlogin, telnet, but I am not sure if NFS is
part of that or a separate entity of its own.  We run bsd on our HP machines,
so I am not that familiar with HPUX software options.

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"The tank is full, the switch is on.
The night is warm, the cops are gone."