[comp.sys.hp] SLIP source wanted for HP9000/340

bernards@ecn.nl (Marcel Bernards) (06/01/90)

Hello NetReaders,

I'm looking for (PD) SLIP source for HP9000/340 series running HPUX 6.5 / 7.0.

We already got SLIP stuff for BSD/SUNOS based machines, but they cannot be
ported easily on HP's. Is there someone who has it or where I can FTP
the stuff ??

Please E-mail

Thanx in advance

Greetings,

--
Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: 09 312246 4579 EARN/BITNET:ESU0130@HPEENR51

reiner@coma.UUCP (Reiner Petersen) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun1.074348.7712@ecn.nl> bernards@ecn.nl (Marcel Bernards) writes:
[] Hello NetReaders,
[] I'm looking for (PD) SLIP source for HP9000/340 series running HPUX 6.5 / 7.0.
We are interested too.

-- reiner
--
Reiner Petersen, TU-Berlin	BITNET: reiner at db0tui62
				UUCP:	reiner@coma

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (06/06/90)

In article <703@coma.UUCP> reiner@coma.UUCP (Reiner Petersen) writes:
>In article <1990Jun1.074348.7712@ecn.nl> bernards@ecn.nl (Marcel Bernards) writes:
>[] Hello NetReaders,
>[] I'm looking for (PD) SLIP source for HP9000/340 series running HPUX 6.5/7.0.
>We are interested too.
>
>-- reiner

Well, this makes about 50 requests over the last year or so in this forum,
with absolutely no response from hp. The response is no better from
sales reps :-). Is there any hope that slip or cslip will be available
sometime in the near future, or should I just give up and buy a couple
or Sun machines? This is important! Please let us know.

-jem

JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (06/07/90)

   Is there any hope that slip or cslip will be available sometime in the
   near future, ... ?

The best chance is for HP-UX 8.0.  I'm not in a kernel or networking
division, so I don't know the exact plans, but 8.0 includes entirely
new networking code in the kernel, and part of that work is an
extensible async protocol tweak.  Will it be ready for 8.0?  Good
question, and I don't know the answer.

wunder

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (06/08/90)

In article <920060@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

jem>   Is there any hope that slip or cslip will be available sometime in the
jem>   near future, ... ?

>The best chance is for HP-UX 8.0.  I'm not in a kernel or networking
>division, so I don't know the exact plans, but 8.0 includes entirely
>new networking code in the kernel, and part of that work is an
>extensible async protocol tweak.  Will it be ready for 8.0?  Good
>question, and I don't know the answer.
>
>wunder

Is there anyone in the networking division who will comment on this?
I know that the author of cslip has offered to put substantial
effort into making it work on hpux, and has been told that hp
is not really interested in pursuing the matter. (He already
has it working on an hp box running Utah's BSD port.)

I wonder whether you realize how important this is. We are now
entering an age where many people will begin to use workstations
at home, and uucp is not an acceptable way to communicate between
a home machine and a work machine. I am ready NOW to spend the
money to set up an IP node at home, and based on the response I
have received to inquiries about cslip, I have almost decided
to purchase a Sun.

Please hear this clearly, hp. Because of this, you have just about
lost this sale. (If I can get certain programs to work under Utah BSD,
I might use an hp box, but without hpux.)

In frustration,
-jem
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (06/13/90)

SLIP has been tried in earlier HP-UX kernels (pre-8.0), and it is a
mess.  Networking in pre-8.0 kernels is a re-written 4.2 for the s800,
and (I think) something different for s300.  It is not a pretty sight.

The decision was to put off SLIP until the networking code was shot
and replaced.  Putting a lot of effort into the old stuff for one
release was just not a good investment.  HP did put the VJ TCP
algorithms into 7.0.

HP-UX 8.0 networking is all-new code based on 4.3-Tahoe.  It is more
reliable, more configurable, all that stuff.

Walter "not in a networking division" Underwood

richi@hpopd.HP.COM (Richard Jennings) (09/14/90)

/ hpopd:comp.protocols.tcp-ip / milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) /  5:22 pm  Jun  6, 1990 /

Well, this makes about 50 requests over the last year or so in this forum,
with absolutely no response from hp. The response is no better from
sales reps :-). Is there any hope that slip or cslip will be available
sometime in the near future, or should I just give up and buy a couple
or Sun machines? This is important! Please let us know.

-jem

JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn
----------
John,

Firstly, I'm unconnected with the networking guys - I just happen to know
that HP will be shipping a version of PPL SLIP this month.

The product will initially be UNSUPPORTED, however.  You should ask your
HP rep. to get it for you.  (If she doesn't yet know about it, tell her
to contact Karen Choy at HP IND!)

"Hope This Helps"

Disclaimer: this posting is on behalf of myself, as an individual, and does
            not necessarily contain or represent opinions of my employers.

Richard Jennings
Software Development Engineer
Pinewood Information Systems Division (formerly OPD), the home of AIMS,
                               OpenMail and Multi-Media Communications
Hewlett-Packard
Nine Mile Ride
Wokingham
Berkshire  RG11 3LL
England

Phone: +44 344 763 738
Fax:   +44 344 763 440
email: richi@hpopd.HP.COM
       ...!hplabs!hpopd!richi

lyle@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Lyle Weiman) (09/19/90)

I can't take credit for this, many other people did all the work.  I
just happen to know who they are, and am posting this so that everybody
who reads this group and wants SLIP can reap the benefits of that work.
It'll be ready on Sept. 21.

--lyle
Point-to-Point Link (PPL)
------------------------

Because of the demand for SLIP in some critical customer situations, IND
has made available an early version of the Point-to-Point Link (PPL)
networking feature available as an unsupported feature of LAN/9000
Link Release 7.0 (Product No. 36967A for Series 800, Product No. 98171A
for Series 300). PPL is an inexpensive way to connect PCs and other
standalone systems to a network running TCP/IP applications. PPL defines
a method of sending Internet packets over standard RS-232 asynchronous
serial lines. PPL will include the SLIP, ASLIPC and ASLIPS protocols.

Users can run the 'ppl' command program to set-up:

(1) Dial-in to HP 9000 serial IP lines
(2) Dial-out to HP 9000 serial IP lines
(3) Direct connection to HP 9000 serial lines

Starting on September 21, a copy of the PPL product can be obtained
through the Fort Collins patch machine, hpfcse. The PPL software will
be stored in "shar" format under the 'UNSUPP' directory.  Just create a
directory 'ni' under /tmp and copy the patch into this new directory.
Then follow the instructions in the README.

For PPL on the S300, get the file 's300_ppl', and for PPL on the S800,
get the file 's800_ppl'.  This shar file contains 12 PPL files and 3 PPL
documents including a README-First, the PPL user documentation ("Using
Serial Line IP Protocols") and the corresponding man pages in troff format.

Caveat: All PPL  configurations and all applications running over the PPL
connection are unsupported in HP-UX Release 7.0.

===============================

I'd like to make a clarification note about where on hpfcse to get SLIP.

For the Series 300, you can get the file s300_ppl from the directory,
UNSUPP/s300_lan.

For the Series 800, you can get the file s800_ppl from the directory,
UNSUPP/s800_lan.

lyle@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Lyle Weiman) (09/19/90)

Several people have pointed out to me two items from my earlier posting
that may not have been quite clear enough:

1) THIS IS UNSUPPORTED SOFTWARE IN RELEASE 7.0.

2) PUBLIC ACCESS TO HPFCSE IS NOT AVAILABLE.  The machine noted, hpfcse,
   is available for use by HP employees only.  Those within HP can get it
   thru the Internet;  those outside HP will have to enlist the assistance
   of their local support engineer, keeping in mind #1 above.

   --lyle