[comp.sys.hp] upgrade 9k310

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (09/26/90)

re: > I've had an unused 9000 310 ...

> I am currently looking to upgrade to a 68040 (or 030) processor

The '030 upgrade kit is product 98243C.  It has a list price of $4000 (minus
$1000 for old CPU board), with additional discount Options and trade-in
credits for other old components.  You will need new RAM, and the max on the
332 is 8 Mb.

Upgrading to any of the other Models requires a box swap, because the
310/320/332 have a 16-bit backplane DIO-I, and the others (including all the
'040s) require the 32-bit DIO-II.

> Could someone within HP please send me the upgrade
> possibilities and the current price list of peripherals.

Your local HP sales office should be able to send you the necessary info.

> Additionally, I was wondering if 4.3BSD was available directly on
> HP's or is HPUX the only possibility... Thanks.

I think BSD is available from some university, but I am unsure as to which
one.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@hpfcrjn.FC.HP.COM       3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (09/27/90)

In article <7370215@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes in
response to someone asking about bsd 4.3 on HP workstations:

>> Additionally, I was wondering if 4.3BSD was available directly on
>> HP's or is HPUX the only possibility... Thanks.

>I think BSD is available from some university, but I am unsure as to which
>one.

The University of Utah has ported 4.3 bsd to the 300 series workstations, and
it is available from Mt. Xinu.

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"The tank is full, the switch is on.
The night is warm, the cops are gone."

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.074254@bwdla30.bnr.ca> awhitton@bnr.ca writes:
|In article <1990Sep26.134135.22599@hellgate.utah.edu>,
|mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) writes:

[...]

||> The University of Utah has ported 4.3 bsd to the 300 series
|workstations, and
||> it is available from Mt. Xinu.

||> mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

[...]

|Didn't Mount Xinu have a version of 4.3 running on an HP? I think
|I saw this at USEnix in Baltimore.

Yes, they did. It was the Utah port. Reading is fundamental :-)

-jem
--
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn