[comp.sys.hp] More Help with LJIII

lodin@plains.NoDak.edu (Steve Lodin) (09/26/90)

Thanks for the help with my Postscript problem.  Now that I have Postscript
running, I have the need to switch in and out of Postscript on the fly.

I know that an LJ2 w/PD Postscript can switch to PCL with some escape
sequence.  I, however, have an LJ3 w/HP Postscript.  I RTFM and didn't see
any escape sequences to deactivate Postscript and put the printer into
a PCL mode.  Can anyone help me here?

System:  HP 9000s360 w/HP-UX 7.0
Printer: HP LJ III w/2Meg RAM extra, w/PD 25-in-One, w/HP Postscript
Applications:  Interleaf, Teamwork, various PC packages from networked PC's

Thanks for any help...

Steven W. Lodin
Advanced Instrumentation Engineering
Delco Electronics Corp

AT&T:    (317) 451-8722    GM: 8-322-8722
Domain:  lodin%koiasvr01.uucp@[iuvax.cs.indiana.edu or dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu]
  or     lodin@plains.nodak.edu
  or     swlodin@koess.gm.hac.com
UUCP:    [iuvax or pur-ee]!koiasvr01!lodin
GM:      LODIN, SW <KOESS::SWLODIN>

epew@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Erick Pew) (09/28/90)

> Now that I have Postscript running, I have the need to switch in and
> out of Postscript on the fly.

Sorry, the only way to switch back and forth is to turn the printer off and
remove/insert the PS Cartridge and then turn the printer back on.

> Steven W. Lodin
> Advanced Instrumentation Engineering
> Delco Electronics Corp

lienhart@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lienhart) (09/28/90)

There is no (known) way to switch between postscript and pcl modes on
a Laserjet III with an HP Postscript cartridge installed.

Bob Lienhart

mikef@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Mike_Forman) (09/29/90)

I'm also using a LaserJet (IIP) with the Postscript cartridge.
I've heard tell of a third party Postscript cartridge that allows
both HP PCL and Postscript without turning the system off, but I've
not been able to locate such a "puppy" at the local emporiums.

I suggest you take a look around.  If you find such a thing, please
post to the net.

Mike Forman
Hewlett-Packard Company

The above view are my own, not those of HP.

stevens@hpcc01.HP.COM (Stuart Stevens) (09/30/90)

>> I'm also using a LaserJet (IIP) with the Postscript cartridge.
>> I've heard tell of a third party Postscript cartridge that allows
>> both HP PCL and Postscript without turning the system off, but I've
>> not been able to locate such a "puppy" at the local emporiums.

	The Adobe PostScript cartridge for the LaserJet Series II
	supports software switching between PostScript and HP PCL.
	I believe that it only supports the LaserJet II.

 Stuart Stevens
 Hewlett-Packard Company

 The above views are my own, not those of HP.

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (09/30/90)

In article <1320051@hp-ptp.HP.COM> mikef@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Mike_Forman) writes:
>I'm also using a LaserJet (IIP) with the Postscript cartridge.
>I've heard tell of a third party Postscript cartridge that allows
>both HP PCL and Postscript without turning the system off, but I've
>not been able to locate such a "puppy" at the local emporiums.
>
>I suggest you take a look around.  If you find such a thing, please
>post to the net.
>
>Mike Forman
>Hewlett-Packard Company
>
>The above view are my own, not those of HP.

The Pacific Data Systems 'Pacific Page' (clone) PS cartridge DOES allow
switching to and from PS to PCL.

Beware, there ARE a few bugs (somtimes it WON'T) switch back and since it
uses Phoenix Technologies' PS clone, _some_ PS stuff won't work (like
the 'smallcaps' routine that comes with dvi3ps.

All in all, though it does a fine job.  We have our LJIII with the PacPage
attached to a 9000/835.

Also be advised that the escape sequence in the PacPage MANUAL is just plain
WRONG!.  The file that comes on the PC disk, however, works OK and is
readable.

You should also know that there is a 15-20 second wait time when switching
back from PS to PCL that MUST be observed.  Data sent during the switchback
will be ignored.  Our HP-UX driver doesn't detect any 'busy' signal on the
serial line so we had to add a 'sleep 30' to the driver script.

That ought to do it!
--
Bill Meahan WA8TZG		|"The freedom of human beings is not a condition
uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm	|but a task. What an absence of shackles means
				|is our duty to know and to establish our own
"I do NOT speak for anyone	|limits. It is often more difficult to be free
but me, myself and I!"		|than not to be free ...."  -Bela Varga

richard@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Richard Artz) (09/30/90)

Mike Forman writes:

>I've heard tell of a third party Postscript cartridge that allows
>both HP PCL and Postscript without turning the system off, but I've
>not been able to locate such a "puppy" at the local emporiums.
----------
We got a Pacific Page Postscript (PS) cartridge. It has an escape
that switches between PS and PCL. But the bad news is that it
causes a hard-reset on the printer whenever it switches. More
bad news, the reset takes about 60 seconds to selftest, and there
is no way to ask the printer which mode it's running. So either it's
a reset between every job or a super-smart lp model. Worse news,
when I got a HP PS cartridge, the HP was 9 times faster running
PS than the Pacific Page cartridge!

Personally, I'm very disappointed that we can't have both. I assume
there's a damn good reason for this, but I don't know it. Sigh :-(

Richard Artz / OSSD Learning Products / 303-229-2036 / richard@hpfcww.fc.hp.com
 Hewlett-Packard / MS11 / 3404 E. Harmony Road / Fort Collins, CO 80525-9599
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by, the
Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational purposes
only. It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

john@hpuorfa.HP.COM (John Scott) (10/02/90)

There is also another third party by the name of "Extended Systems"
that has a box called Bridgeport.  It allows both a MAC and a PC to
share the same postscript printer.  I don't have specifics but I do
understand that they perform software switching between both.  They
don't specify PCL as a concern, only postscript.  You might give them
a call anyway and see....208-322-7575

lodin@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Schmo) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep29.213932.17439@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan) writes:

>Beware, there ARE a few bugs (somtimes it WON'T) switch back and since it
>uses Phoenix Technologies' PS clone, _some_ PS stuff won't work (like
>the 'smallcaps' routine that comes with dvi3ps.

If yours doesn't work, it may be since PacPage released some that didn't.
We had to get an update to get ours to work in our Sun cluster.

>Also be advised that the escape sequence in the PacPage MANUAL is just plain
>WRONG!.  The file that comes on the PC disk, however, works OK and is
>readable.

Right.

>You should also know that there is a 15-20 second wait time when switching
>back from PS to PCL that MUST be observed.  Data sent during the switchback

Again, right.