[comp.sys.hp] Sam and existing addresses

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (10/05/90)

In the referenced article tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:

>However, adding a cluster client when you already have it in
>/etc/hosts and/or in the DNS (if, for example, you are converting the
>client to diskless, or moving it from one server to another) is a real
>pain: You have to comment out the entry from /etc/hosts and kill named
>before you start sam.  If you are adding a cluster client called
>'john', and john.your.dom.ain already is in /etc/hosts and/or the DNS,
>sam won't let you assign john's own IP address to it.  Sam doesn't
>understand that it's the same machine you are talking about...

The workaround we have used is to give sam the proper name. so the
CDF's will be created properly, but a bogus IP address (we keep one
which does not have a ptr entry for this purpose). After exiting sam,
The IP address can be set correctly in /etc/hosts on the server.

-jem
--
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn