[comp.sys.hp] osf NOT to be on series 800's ??

gentry@genco.UUCP (Art Gentry) (10/09/90)

Fairly reliable rumor heard at the recent ADUS conference in San Diago is,
that HP will NOT port OSF to the 9000/800 series risc machines.  Anyone
out there heard the same or maybe someone from HP could confirm/denie it?

| R. Arthur Gentry  Gentry and Associates  Excelsior Springs,  MO  64024 |
| Email: gentry@genco.uucp          ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |
| The UNIX BBS: 816-221-0475        The Bedroom BBS: 816-637-4183        |
| $include {std_disclaimer.h}       "I will make a guess" - Spock - STIV |

wunder@orac.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (10/09/90)

   Fairly reliable rumor heard at the recent ADUS conference in San Diago is,
   that HP will NOT port OSF to the 9000/800 series risc machines.  Anyone
   out there heard the same or maybe someone from HP could confirm/denie it?

Well, I can't confirm or deny it, because I don't have the facts, but
my opinion is ... that would be a very silly and unlikely move on our
part.

I do know that HP has given a grant to the Univ. of Utah to fund a
port of Mach to the s800 (this is public knowledge).  Mach on s800 is
an obvious first step to OSF/1 on s800.  Draw your own conclusions.

wunder

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (10/10/90)

>   Fairly reliable rumor heard at the recent ADUS conference in San Diago is,
>   that HP will NOT port OSF to the 9000/800 series risc machines.  Anyone
>   out there heard the same or maybe someone from HP could confirm/denie it?

Reliable rumor mongering again?  Were you aware that at the latest Usenix
Mach workshop, HP (Bob Sears) presented a paper on porting Mach 2.5 to
HP PA systems?  Currently, that would be the series 800.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com
Senior Engineer
Platforms and Tools Group
BBN Software Products Company
10 Fawcett St.
Cambridge, MA. 02138

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (10/10/90)

In article <1166@kcdev.UUCP>, gentry@genco.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
> Fairly reliable rumor heard at the recent ADUS conference in San Diago is,
> that HP will NOT port OSF to the 9000/800 series risc machines.  Anyone
> out there heard the same or maybe someone from HP could confirm/denie it?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's ADUS?  I've never heard of it before.

Anyway at the Boston Interex there was an OSF session.  The speaker was
from OSF and talked about OSF/1 (among other things).  Someone asked him
when HP would deliver an OSF/1 based OS.  He replied that he couldn't
speak for HP.  Some other person (wearing a blue badge) got up and said
that he could speak for HP.  He said that HP hopes to deliver OSF/1 in
the fall of 1991.

I don't know that I'd bet the rent on that date, but every discussion
of OSF/1 that I've heard has been about "when", not "if".

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (10/11/90)

In article <1243@prcrs.UUCP> paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) writes:
>In article <1166@kcdev.UUCP>, gentry@genco.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
>> Fairly reliable rumor heard at the recent ADUS conference in San Diago is,
>> that HP will NOT port OSF to the 9000/800 series risc machines.  Anyone
>> out there heard the same or maybe someone from HP could confirm/denie it?
>
>Forgive my ignorance, but what's ADUS?  I've never heard of it before.

ADUS is the Appolo Domain USers group.  They had their annual conference in
San Diago last month.

>Anyway at the Boston Interex there was an OSF session.  The speaker was
>from OSF and talked about OSF/1 (among other things).  Someone asked him
>when HP would deliver an OSF/1 based OS.  He replied that he couldn't
>speak for HP.  Some other person (wearing a blue badge) got up and said
>that he could speak for HP.  He said that HP hopes to deliver OSF/1 in
>the fall of 1991.
>
>I don't know that I'd bet the rent on that date, but every discussion
>of OSF/1 that I've heard has been about "when", not "if".

I got an email reply to the original post from a fellow that stated he
had heard via *his* rumor mill, that HP is going to put OSF/2, not OSF/1
on the 800 series in late 1991.  The date you heard and this guy did
seem to confirm that SOMETHING is going to happen, but at this point,
I'm not sure what that SOMETHING is going to be.  Mayhaps someone "in
the know" at HP would care to comment?

Inquiring minds want to know! :-}

--
| R. Arthur Gentry  Gentry and Associates  Excelsior Springs,  MO  64024 |
| Email: gentry@kcdev.uucp          MA Bell Voice: 816-637-2443          |