[comp.sys.hp] Smalltalk for the HP

rl23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Griswold Lefferts) (10/10/90)

I am trying to locate a reliable smalltalk implementation for any of the
following platforms:

- 9000/370 9000/320 running HP-UX 7.0
- 9000/850 running HP-UX 7.0

Of course, free would be better than expensive, but I would appreciate any sort
of general information about possible options.

Thanks very much,
Rob Lefferts
rgl@lcl.cmu.edu

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (10/11/90)

In comp.sys.hp, rl23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Griswold Lefferts) writes:

> I am trying to locate a reliable smalltalk implementation for any of the
> following platforms:
>
> - 9000/370 9000/320 running HP-UX 7.0
> - 9000/850 running HP-UX 7.0
>
> Of course, free would be better than expensive, but I would appreciate any sort
> of general information about possible options.

     Well, GNU Smalltalk is a "free", but somewhat primitive
implementation of Smalltalk.  You can get a copy via anonymous ftp to
prep.ai.mit.edu.

     -- Darryl ("You did want `cheap'") Okahata
	darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea

parag@hpsdel.HP.COM (Parag Patel) (10/12/90)

See the posting by ParcPlace in comp.newprod.  Objectworks for Smalltalk
80 version 4 will be avialable on HP s300s and s400s next year.

For free, you'll have to do with Gnu Smalltalk.  No GUI though.

	--Parag

bruno@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bruno Melli) (10/12/90)

> I am trying to locate a reliable smalltalk implementation for any of the
> following platforms:
>
> - 9000/370 9000/320 running HP-UX 7.0
> - 9000/850 running HP-UX 7.0

You can get smalltalk-80 from ParcPlace.
I know for sure they have it available for the 300 serie since
I'm currently using it for a class. Not sure about the 800.

ParcPlace Systems

1550 Plymouth Street
Mountain View
Ca. 94043