[comp.sys.hp] gcc compiler

jr@bwilab3.UUCP (Eugene W Coleman) (10/04/90)

Where can we get our hands on the following:
	gcc
	gemacs
	bison
	gmake

We recently put C++ on our 800. In the '/usr/contrib/InterViews/TOP-README'
file, there is an assumption that GNU stuff came on this distribution.....
not so. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Junior Coleman

* Eugene W. Coleman, Jr  |   Bradley Ward Inc.   |  Mental Marksman at Large  *
*   (404) 396-4292       |   Atlanta, Ga  30328  |  		              *
*	That place we call %*@!&$!   ...uunet!gatech!galbp!bwilab3!jr         *
*									      *
*          HP always asks 'What if', We can't stop asking 'WHY' ?	      *
*									      *

moore%cdr.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Tim Moore) (10/05/90)

In article <121@bwilab3.UUCP> jr@bwilab3.UUCP (Eugene W Coleman) writes:

>Where can we get our hands on the following:
>	gcc
>	gemacs
>	bison
>	gmake

gcc for the PA-RISC is ftp'able from jaguar.utah.edu in
pub/gcc-1.37.9.hp9k8.tar.Z. We've been running all of /usr/src through
the pa-risc port; a release that fixes the bugs that turned up will be
made available in a couple of days.

Tim Moore                    moore@cs.utah.edu {bellcore,hplabs}!utah-cs!moore
"Ah, youth. Ah, statute of limitations."
		-John Waters

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (10/09/90)

> We recently put C++ on our 800. In the '/usr/contrib/InterViews/TOP-README'
> file, there is an assumption that GNU stuff came on this distribution.....
> not so. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Whoops - we (the HP C++ team) picked up the InterViews sources minus Gnu
C/C++ from Stanford (since Gcc had not been ported to the 800 yet). It
really makes no difference - the InterViews package compiles just fine with
HP C++ (we took care to ensure that).  We did not modify the readme files
that went along with the source, however, which is the reason for the
reference to Gcc.

P.S. Unlike most other machines, you really don't want to use Gcc in
preference to the system C compiler on the series 800 (yet): the system
compiler produces *much* better code (and we're going to try to keep it
that way :-).
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab.     Internet: shankar@hpda.hp.com
Phone : (408) 447-5797                           UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar

DISCLAIMER:
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

dg@hpl.hp.com (Dipankar Gupta) (10/10/90)

In article <1340150@hpclscu.HP.COM> shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) writes:

>P.S. Unlike most other machines, you really don't want to use Gcc in
>preference to the system C compiler on the series 800 (yet): the system
>compiler produces *much* better code (and we're going to try to keep it
>that way :-).
>-----
>Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
>Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab.     Internet: shankar@hpda.hp.com
>Phone : (408) 447-5797                           UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar

What is *much* better code? Could you elaborate on why the code is much better?

//dg
Dipankar Gupta
dg@hplb.hpl.hp.com

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (10/16/90)

> What is *much* better code? Could you elaborate on why the code is much
> better?

Well, for one thing, HP-PA having such an interesting instruction set,
optimizers have to work very hard indeed to generate good code on it.  Just
an example: When generating code for a switch, the HP optimizer hoists the
first instruction of the block of code for a label to the shadow of the
branch to that block. Gcc does not. Similarly, the HP optimizer performs
many branch optimizations and peephole transformations that Gcc does not.

I'm not trying to put down Gcc in any way - it's just that Gcc/800 is too
new to have acquired the full bag of tricks that the HP optimizer (which
operates mostly at the machine instruction level, using aliasing
information generated from the front-ends) uses.

We have seen benchmarks in which the HP optimizer achieves as much as a 30%
improvement over Gcc in code size.  However, I know that the Utah folks are
grinding away at Gcc even now..
----
Shankar Unni.