[comp.sys.hp] UIMX, 68040, et. al....

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (10/17/90)

Hey, ho, it's that time of year again, and the capital budget
fights are on again.  Time to see if vendor promises are real
or vapor, check the list twice, and all that sort of stuff...

Talking of vapor... :-)

Has anyone heard when the Motif application builder UIMX will
finally see the light of day?  One gets tired arguing Open Look
vs Motif, with the Sunnites using their icon-based file browser,
mail tool, xdbx debugger, and giga-bytes of free PD software, when
all we HPites get is an HPterm and ELM.   Gak!  Our solution so
far has been one or two HPs running Motif to all the Sun Sparcs
on the net.  The Open Look programs look pretty good with MOTIF
frames :-)  Sigh...

Has anyone seen/got any of the MUCHO-HERALDED MULTI-MEDIA-EVENT-ANNOUNCED
68040 processors?  Is this the "Teddy Ruxpin" of computers, where you've
heard of them on the news, but can never find them on the shelves?

NCS is better than RPC, but who can afford/justify 57 licences for
NCS when RPC comes with the operating system?  What USES NCS anyway?

--POOF!--  Oops, reality check...

Anyway, this is one HP fanatic who is MIGHTY TIRED!  That SGI over
there looks might cute, Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket...
And, it does 3D rotations with an X server of more than 4 colors... :-)

Tony Burzio               * NO no, not THAT button!
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlab!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (10/18/90)

> Has anyone heard when the Motif application builder UIMX will
> finally see the light of day?

From an internal notes posting:

     * > What is the current status of UIMX?  Can customers order it for
     * > HP-UX 7.0?  If so, what is the cost and product number?
     *
     *
     * Architect goes on the CPL October 1 and will be shipping in November.
     * Shipments are scheduled to start the week of November 26.
     *
     *
     *                  HP Interface Architect for S300/400
     *
     *
     * B1163A    HP Interface Architect
     * opt.  0AN 1 Seat License
     *       0AD 5 Seat License
     *       0A9 10 Seat License
     *       0AG 25 Seat License
     *
     * B1164A    Media and Manuals for B1164A
     * opt.  AA0 Cartridge tape option
     *
     *
     *                  HP Interface Architect for S800
     *
     *
     * B1165A    HP Interface Architect
     * opt.  0AN 1 Seat License
     *       0AD 5 Seat License
     *       0A9 10 Seat License
     *       0AG 25 Seat License
     *
     * B1166A    Media and Manuals for B1165A
     * opt.  AA0 Cartridge tape option
     * opt.  AA1 Mag tape
     *
     *                HP Interface Architect Library Source
     *
     * B1167A    Library Source Product
     * opt.  AA0 Cartridge Tape option
     *
     *
     *                Extra manual sets
     *
     * B1175A    Manuals for S800, S300, S400

> ..... all we HPites get is an HPterm and ELM.

Please check out HP-VUE    I'm updating to it this week !

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

gerwitz@Kodak.Com (Paul Gerwitz) (10/22/90)

In article <36@gauss.mmlai.UUCP>, burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:

|> Has anyone heard when the Motif application builder UIMX will
|> finally see the light of day?  One gets tired arguing Open Look
|> vs Motif, with the Sunnites using their icon-based file browser,

The UIMX software is now called HP Interface Architect.  I put my order in
2 weeks ago.  Bug your sales rep.

 | Paul F Gerwitz  WA2WPI  | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                          |
 | Eastman Kodak Co        | UUCP: ..uunet!atexnet!kodak!eastman!gerwitz      |