[comp.sys.hp] spell doesn't work

renga@perpetua.cs.uoregon.edu (Renganathan Sundararajan) (10/21/90)

We are running hp-ux 7.0 on HP-PA.  The spell program does
not work since we moved to hp-ux 7.0.

       Script started on Sat Oct 20 21:13:46 1990

        ~/research 1 %spell ai.tex
       spell: cannot initialize hash table
       spell: cannot initialize hash table
        ~/research 2 %
        ~/research 2 %exit

       script done on Sat Oct 20 21:14:01 1990

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Renga

  Renga Sundararajan	              Department of Computer Science
  University of Oregon	              Eugene, OR 97403-1202
  INTERNET:   renga@cs.uoregon.edu    CSNET:	renga@uoregon.csnet
  USENET:     {decvax, allegra}!tektronix!uoregon!renga

bill@hpuorfa.HP.COM (Bill Chidester) (10/22/90)

> We are running hp-ux 7.0 on HP-PA.  The spell program does
> not work since we moved to hp-ux 7.0.
>
>        Script started on Sat Oct 20 21:13:46 1990
>
>         ~/research 1 %spell ai.tex
>        spell: cannot initialize hash table
>        spell: cannot initialize hash table
>         ~/research 2 %
>         ~/research 2 %exit
>
>        script done on Sat Oct 20 21:14:01 1990
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Renga

   There was an apparent oversight in the 7.0 install script; the files
   you need are on your system, but were not placed in the proper
   directories.

   You will need to:

	      cp /etc/newconfig/hlista /usr/lib/spell
	      cp /etc/newconfig/hlistb /usr/lib/spell
	      cp /etc/newconfig/hstop  /usr/lib/spell

   As I recall, this problem only occurs if you have done an 'install',
   rather than an 'update' to get to 7.0 -- so, sometimes 7.0 spell will
   work, sometimes it won't.....

   Sorry for the inconvenience.

   ----------------------------
   hplabs!hpfcse!hpuorfa!bill              Bill Chidester
					   HP Orlando
					   (407)  826-9228

$INCLUDE SCOLDING

   Netnews is a slow and capricious method of obtaining support for your
   Hewlett-Packard systems and software.  You are encouraged to take advantage
   of the Hewlett-Packard Response Centers, which are available as part
   of ResponseLine and TeamLine support contracts.  Response Center support
   for the core HP-UX operating system product is now available 24 hours
   a day, seven days a week.

   This posting does not represent the the policy or opinion of Hewlett-Packard
   Company.  It is provided for information purposes only.

rodean@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bruce Rodean) (10/22/90)

In article <RENGA.90Oct20212734@perpetua.cs.uoregon.edu> renga@perpetua.cs.uoregon.edu (Renganathan Sundararajan) writes:
> We are running hp-ux 7.0 on HP-PA.  The spell program does
> not work since we moved to hp-ux 7.0.
>
>        Script started on Sat Oct 20 21:13:46 1990
>
>         ~/research 1 %spell ai.tex
>        spell: cannot initialize hash table
>        spell: cannot initialize hash table
>         ~/research 2 %

This is a known problem with installed 7.0.  If you updated, you should
have seen this problem unless you didn't have spell installed in the
first place.

The workaround is as follows (execute as root):

  cd /etc/newconfig
  cpset hlista /usr/lib/spell 444
  cpset hlistb /usr/lib/spell 444
  cpset hstop /usr/lib/spell 444

This has been fixed for the next release.  I will also send this by
mail.

Bruce Rodean
HP-UX Commands
rodean@hpfcla.HP.COM

This posting does not reflect the official position of Hewlett-Packard
Co.  No warrantees are expressed or implied.

jns@hpuerca.HP.COM (Jeff Squires) (10/23/90)

Hi there -- sorry that you experienced this -- maybe this will help:

Workaround:

cp /etc/newconfig/hlista /usr/lib/spell/hlista
cp /etc/newconfig/hlistb /usr/lib/spell/hlistb
cp /etc/newconfig/hstop /usr/lib/spell/hstop

change owner and group to bin.

This anamoly is detailed in Known Problem Report (KPR) 5000585307
detailed in your HP Software Status Bulletin (SSB)

Sorry for the inconvience

Jeff Squires

rtaheri@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Reza Taheri) (10/23/90)

> We are running hp-ux 7.0 on HP-PA.  The spell program does
> not work since we moved to hp-ux 7.0.

>        spell: cannot initialize hash table
>        spell: cannot initialize hash table

    You are missing some files in /usr/lib/spell.  Make sure you have
all of the following (you can copy them from your pre-7.0 pack).

-r--r--r--   1 bin      bin          305 Oct 12  1989 compress
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin        36864 Oct 12  1989 hashcheck
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin        34816 Oct 12  1989 hashmake
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other      53872 Nov 10  1988 hlista
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other      53840 Nov 10  1988 hlistb
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other       6336 Nov 10  1988 hstop
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     other     105234 Oct 17 13:33 spellhist
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin        59392 Oct 12  1989 spellin
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin        47104 Oct 12  1989 spellprog

Reza Taheri
rtaheri@hpperf1.cup.hp.com

lee@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Lee Rodberg) (10/23/90)

At 7.0, you need to copy the following files from /etc/newconfig to
/usr/lib/spell  to make spell work.

/etc/newconfig/hlista
/etc/newconfig/hlistb
/etc/newconfig/hstop

This should take care of the error messages from spell.

Lee Rodberg

john@hpucph.dmk.hp.com (John Damm Srensen) (10/24/90)

>We are running hp-ux 7.0 on HP-PA.  The spell program does
>not work since we moved to hp-ux 7.0.
>
>       Script started on Sat Oct 20 21:13:46 1990
>
>        ~/research 1 %spell ai.tex
>       spell: cannot initialize hash table
>       spell: cannot initialize hash table
>        ~/research 2 %
>        ~/research 2 %exit
>
>       script done on Sat Oct 20 21:14:01 1990
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look in /etc/newconfig fo hlista,hlistb and hstop and cp them to
/usr/lib. Then spell will be ok again.

John Damm Soerensen
Danish Response Center