[comp.sys.hp] How to fix spell with 7.0...

rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk (10/22/90)

> We are running hp-ux 7.0 on HP-PA.  The spell program does
> not work since we moved to hp-ux 7.0.

A *very common* problem. And _dead easy_ to fix if you read the
"What to do after updating to 7.0" docs (or some similar title to that).

There are three files in /etc/newconfig that you need to copy to
/usr/lib/spell. They are:

hlista
hlistb
hstop

Make sure that they have read access across the board once you've copied
them. My two questions to HP about this are:

1. Why doesn't a customize script do this AUTOMATICALLY when you update
   if the three files don't exist (optionally renaming existing files to
   .old if they do exist) ?

2. HP's much-vaunted "Instant Ignition" systems DO NOT HAVE THE THREE FILES
   IN PLACE when they are shipped with 7.0 pre-installed !!

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          ****************************************************

rodean@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bruce Rodean) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct22.102839.2678@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk> rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk writes:
> Make sure that they have read access across the board once you've copied
> them. My two questions to HP about this are:
>
> 1. Why doesn't a customize script do this AUTOMATICALLY when you update
>    if the three files don't exist (optionally renaming existing files to
>    .old if they do exist) ?

There was a customize script to do this; unfortunately there was a
defect in it such that the files do not get moved.  It has been fixed.

> 2. HP's much-vaunted "Instant Ignition" systems DO NOT HAVE THE THREE FILES
>    IN PLACE when they are shipped with 7.0 pre-installed !!

I am only guessing on this, but I bet the Instant Ignition systems were
built using stock-7.0 systems as a base and then customized.  Since the
problem is a generic 7.0 install problem, it will show up on ANY and ALL
installed 7.0 systems.  Note that systems which update to 7.0 will not
have this problem since the spell command can use the pre-7.0 versions
of those files.

Bruce Rodean
rodean@hpfcla.HP.COM

This posting does not reflect the official position of Hewlett-Packard
Co.  No warrantees of any kind are made or implied.