[comp.sys.hp] Doing backups with dump

adler@over.caltech.edu (B. Thomas Adler) (10/28/90)

I've just recently fallen into the position of taking care of a cluster
of HP 9000s300's running HPUX 7.0, and I'm having a hell of a time
getting dump(1m) to work properly.

The problem is that whenever it requests a new tape to be mounted, 50%
of the time it will crash saying something like "Child exited with a
LOB status of 213." and terminate my backup.  Talking to some other
sysadmins with HP's didn't help, as they've encountered similar problems,
and told me not to even bother with /etc/fbackup.

Another problem with dump I have is that the "n" option (notify group
operator) doesn't really seem to work.  It doesn't notify cluster wide
and it doesn't accept further input from the keyboard at the terminal
controlling the dump.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?  Please help!!!!!

-Bo Adler

--
B. Thomas Adler               <adler@tybalt.caltech.edu>
<adler@citjulie.bitnet>       <...!ames!elroy!cit-vax!adler>

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) (10/30/90)

In article <adler.657102184@over> adler@over.caltech.edu (B. Thomas Adler) writes:
>Another problem with dump I have is that the "n" option (notify group
>operator) doesn't really seem to work.  It doesn't notify cluster wide
>and it doesn't accept further input from the keyboard at the terminal
>controlling the dump.

HP broke the "n" option when the ported dump from bsd because they didn't
allow for the additional entries you can find in a sysV style utmp file.

The workaround is to NOT define any users in group operator.

Given the above exception we have had no problems with dump on 7.0.  We use
rdump regularly to backup the filesystems on our hpux 300's.

cheers
mark