[comp.sys.hp] Ink-jet cartridges

safleydj@stat.appstate.edu (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct8.041430.2899@cbnewsh.att.com>, wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
> The HP Thinkjet is a nice printer.  It's REALLY quiet, which is its
> big advantage.  It works by spraying ink at the paper, and therefore
> works better if you use HP's special paper, which absorbs the ink fast
> and doesn't smear; with regular paper it helps to let the paper dry
> a minute before using it.  The print's a bit light.

Has anyone figured out a way to re-ink the Thinkjet ink cartridges?  I am
employed in a state librarthat uses approximately 12 cartridges a month.  WeAs
we are expecting the use of cartriges to increase and we do not have the money
in our budget to accomodate this increase, I am desperate for alternatives.

mikef@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Mike_Forman) (11/01/90)

This is only an opinion, not a carefully researched answer, but...

The ThinkJet cartridges use air pressure (the ambient air) to help
feed the ink to the print head.  The collapsing rubber bladder
accomplishes this.  Therefore, to refill the cartridge, you would
need to find a way to take the plastic apart, remove the bladder
without puncturing it, fill it with ink, and reinstall the bladder.
Then, if the plastic isn't too badly destroyed, and if the ink is
compatible with the printer, and if the jets aren't clogged, it
might work.  I can't imagine that there is a cost effective way
to accomplish this.

In addition, there is wear on the electrical contacts with time
that would cause the cartridge to stop working, anyway.

Having used a ThinkJet for a few years, I can't figure out any
way to refill them.  Best bet is to find a supplies dealer that
will give you a volume discount.  Or, ask HP to donate some  :-)

Once again, the above comments are opinion only, and they do not
reflect the official HP position.