[comp.sys.hp] X on HP 400 series, multiple screens?>

matt@bacchus.esa.oz (Matthew Atterbury) (10/31/90)

Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?

    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
    independently addressible?, etc)

    does anyone know if the X server for the HP 400 series does/can/could
    support multiple screens (driven by the one mouse + keyboard)?

Many thanks ...
Matt Atterbury [matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au]   Expert Solutions Australia, Melbourne
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au            "klaatu barada nikto"
ARPA: matt%bacchus.esa.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET  "life? don't talk to me about life!"

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (11/02/90)

In article <812@bacchus.esa.oz> matt@bacchus.esa.oz (Matt Atterbury) writes:
>Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?

>    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

Yes, it does.

>    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>    independently addressible?, etc)

The 400t has no extra slots, but I think the 400s has two or three extra
DIO-II slots, and could take one of the addressable 98550 cards, or perhaps
an interface for a graphics engine.  We only have 400t machines, so I can't
say for sure.

mjb.

"With styling to cow the meanest 'street fighter', the Trans-Am Vitesse was an
attempt at a full-blooded racer for Triumph's mid-range saloons.  It was not a
major success."
                                                 mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (11/02/90)

> Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?
>
>     does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

Yes.  Supported display include:
     o hpa1096 Mono-VRX     1280x1024x1
     o hpa1416 Color-VRX    1280x1024x8+2
     o hp98705 Personal-VRX 1280x1024x16+4  (entry 3D)
     o hp98735 Turbo-VRX    1280x1024x24+4  (high-end 3D)

>     can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>     possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>     independently addressible?, etc)

A statement was made by someone close to HP marketing that multiple heads are
not officially supported on the Series 400 workstations.   Despite this, we
(HP's X server development/test team) have some 400 workstatsions with multiple
heads.   To the best of my knowledge, there are no problems, but I think HP
marketing is trying to determine how popular this configuration is before
requesting additional testing and then officially supporting it.

One 400 workstation only has one slot, therefore one display max.  The other
has ?3? slots.  In that case, each display is independently addressible when
installed.

*** If multiple heads are important to you, speak up.  This is one of those
    "it should work, but why support it if few people want it" situations.

>     does anyone know if the X server for the HP 400 series does/can/could
>     support multiple screens (driven by the one mouse + keyboard)?

The server has always been able to support 4 screens.  This applies to the
s300 and s800 workstations, and should unofficially on the s400 workstations.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (11/02/90)

> Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?

Yes.

>    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

Yes.

>    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>    independently addressible?, etc)

Yes. Although I just went and asked a hardware support person and there
is a question as to whether more than one is "supported". Regardless,
you can use 2 display cards in the 4xx s (s for deskSide). The deskTop
models 4xx t only have room for one display card.

>    does anyone know if the X server for the HP 400 series does/can/could
>    support multiple screens (driven by the one mouse + keyboard)?

Yes (I know, and it does). I run an HP 360 with a 98548 (1280x1024 mono)
and a 98549 (1024x768 6-plane color).

> Many thanks ...

You're welcome.

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins

paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) (11/03/90)

>>    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>>    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>>    independently addressible?, etc)

Any of the deskside 400's (and most 300's) will support multiple graphics
heads; you just put the interface card into any available DIOII slot.
We've done several combinations of 98731's, 05's, and 36's on a 433.
It's not a perfect setup though.  There's still only one hil loop
(i.e., 1 keyboard) per cpu, so only 1 graphics head can be used interactively,
say, for running X.  Other heads on the system can only be used as graphics
output devices.   If you want to support multiple "X-stations" on a single HP
cpu, you'll have to go w/ s800 machines.  The 825/835 machines will support
1-4 displays, each w/ its own hil loop.

--
Paul B. Booth  (paul@eye.com) (...!hplabs!hpfcla!eye!paul)
3D/EYE, Inc., 2359 N. Triphammer Rd., Ithaca, NY  14850    voice: (607)257-1381

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (11/06/90)

> ................................. There's still only one hil loop
> (i.e., 1 keyboard) per cpu, so only 1 graphics head can be used interactively,
> say, for running X.  Other heads on the system can only be used as graphics
> output devices.

Though only one HIL loop, it still supports 7 devices.  You can install
two keyboards and two mice (one must be a quadrature mouse with in/out
jacks - ie, it doesn't end the HIL string).  Then you can assign each
server invocation (eg, :0 and :1) a different keyboard/mouse using the
Xndevice's file.

The 300's/400's will actually support three independent server sessions in
this fashion, and the same trick can be played on the 800's (eg, suppose
your heads are located 50 meters away.  Buy one set of HIL extender cables
and route all HIL activity through one).

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

jusch@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Juergen Schlanke) (11/06/90)

/ hpbbi4:comp.sys.hp / matt@bacchus.esa.oz (Matthew Atterbury) /  4:40 am  Oct 31, 1990 /
!Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?
!
!    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?
!
!    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
!    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
!    independently addressible?, etc)
!
    Yes you can have multiple graphics subsystems on a 400s. The
    question is wether it is supported or not. Here are the supported
    configurations:

    - under DOMAIN/OS only one graphics subsystem is supported (and I
    think only one works as well)

    - under hp-ux two graphical subsystems are supported except one
    configuration : two TurboVRX's. This means you can have a ColorVRX
    and a TurboVRX or two ColorVRX's or one TurboVRX and one PersonalVRX
    etc etc but not two TurboVRX's.
    Since there was (and I think still is) some confusion here I am
    trying to make sure there are no misunderstandings.

    Anyway there is one caveate. On the second subsystem one cannot have
    a keyboard connected. To have interactivity requires setting up X11
    appropriately and having X handling the input. I tested it and it
    works just fine.

    I also did some performance testing on some configuration. Please
    note that this was done on 7.03 with pre-release HW. Generally there
    is no Performance penalty running with two graphical subsystem.
    Depending on what you are doing the CPU is the limiter. I also
    tested two TurboVRX's and found a performance loss of ~20%.

    You see, things that are not supported still work. We've tested here
    in Boeblingen up to 4 graphics cards in a s300 without big problems.

    I hope this clarifies the situation a little bit more.

HAND (Have A Nice Day)

Juergen

EMC - European Marketing Center

phone:  -49-7031-14-1565
uucp:   {hpfcla!|hpcea!|hpbbn!}hpbbse!jusch
hpdesk: Juergen SCHLANKE / HPB600/51
mail:   Hewlett-Packard GmbH
	JOrgen Schlanke
        Herrenberger Stra^e 130