[comp.sys.hp] page protection on HPIII

ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu (Kevin Hansen) (11/09/90)

I am wrestling with writing code to plot stuff on the HPIII using HPGL2.
The problem is that I keep getting "overrun" messages.  The manual says
I should try using page protection to circumvent this problem.  What is
page protection and how is it invoked?

John Ficken
ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu

andrea@sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/09/90)

In article <2674@ux.acs.umn.edu> ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu (Kevin Hansen) writes:
>I am wrestling with writing code to plot stuff on the HPIII using HPGL2.
>The problem is that I keep getting "overrun" messages.  The manual says
>I should try using page protection to circumvent this problem.  What is
>page protection and how is it invoked?

From page 22-12 of the LaserJet III Technical Reference Manual:

"The Page Protection feature is available only if the printer contains
at least 1-Mbyte of additional optional memory.  If enabled, page
protection reserves an amount of memory for the page image process,
allowing the printer to create the entire page image (in memory) before
physically moving the paper through the printer.  This process ensures
that the entire page will be printed.  Page protection can be set for
LTR (letter), A4, or LGL (legal) sized pages.  Set page protection for
the page size most often used."

On page 22-16, it says that Page Protection mode is enabled from the
control panel of the printer.  This should be documented in your User's
Manual that comes with the printer.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett Packard, San Diego Technical Graphics Div., R&D Lab
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive - Mailstop 61U65, San Diego CA 92127-1899
Voice    : (619) 592-4664