[comp.sys.hp] Humor in HP-UX!

tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (11/03/90)

When running strings(1) on xdb (the screen-oriented debugger on
HP-UX), I found the following:

  Hmmm, it seems to be in the hardware.
  Things look good, but you may have a halting problem.
  I see no bugs here.
  Why ask me?  It's your program!
  I can see the problem, but it will do you good to find it yourself.
  You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building...
  No known bugs.
  Hmm, seems to be in the hardware.
  Mice, it's mice!!
  There's no bug in this program. It's the operating system!!
  I knew, but I suffered an uncorrectable ECC error.
  Aha!!! It's.... no, that's not it.
  You don't really expect this command to work, do you?
  Return to sender, address unknown.
  SNAFU
  I don't know. I'd much rather play rogue.
  There's no bug in this program. It's the C optimizer!!
  Yeeecchh. This is terrible code.
  brain damage (mos dumped)
  I knew, but I suffered random alpha particle radiation.
  Don't press your luck....or would you like adb back!!
  Start from scratch.
  brain damage (core dumped) (mos dumped) (everything dumped)
  Got a dime?

--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

dainis@ZYX.SE (Dainis Millers) (11/05/90)

In article <TML.90Nov2163245@nyyti.tik.vtt.fi> tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
> When running strings(1) on xdb (the screen-oriented debugger on
> HP-UX), I found the following:
>
>   Hmmm, it seems to be in the hardware.
>   Things look good, but you may have a halting problem.
[ a couple dozen more along the same line...]
>   Got a dime?

In cdb(1), which evidently shares code with xdb, there is a command
'F' (yes, it's documented in the man page!) that can supposedly be used
to "find and fix a bug".  Try it.  Does anybody know whether it is
possible to invoke this command in xdb as well, or is this one other
example of dead code in system software? (If so, it is hardly the first
time something like that happens. Sometimes I suspect a conspiracy
between manufacturers of hard disks and software vendors :-)

--
	Dainis Millers
	ZYX Sweden AB,

dhandly@hpcllz2.HP.COM (Dennis Handly) (11/06/90)

This command was removed some time ago from XDB.  I guess it wasn't funny
enough.   :-)

kam@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Marchington) (11/07/90)

I believe that these are responses given when the "f" command is
given.  "f" is the find and fix bugs command.

Keith Marchington

jsadler@misty.boeing.com (Jim Sadler) (11/07/90)

/ misty:comp.sys.hp / tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) /  1:32 pm  Nov  2, 1990 /
>When running strings(1) on xdb (the screen-oriented debugger on
>HP-UX), I found the following:
>
>  Hmmm, it seems to be in the hardware.
  .
  . Many good chuckles deleted.
  .
>  Got a dime?

I love it!!!!!

jim sadler
206-234-9009	email	uunet!bcstec!jsadler | jsadler@misty.boeing.com

ld@hpirs.cup.hp.com (Larry Dwyer) (11/08/90)

Cdb is the product of a company named Third Eye Software (look for their
booth at the next Uniforum near you).  Cdb runs on a number of platforms
besides HP.  The "F" command is standard cdb.

Cdb has been ported to hp-ux on the 300 series and is supported by HP
(with improvements, of course).  Xdb is a souped up version of cdb that
runs on the 800 series.  It used to have the F option.  I believe the
option has been removed.

		Larry Dwyer

jmn@hpfcso.HP.COM (John Newman) (11/08/90)

> In cdb(1), which evidently shares code with xdb, there is a command
> 'F' (yes, it's documented in the man page!) that can supposedly be used
> to "find and fix a bug".  Try it.  Does anybody know whether it is
> possible to invoke this command in xdb as well, or is this one other
> example of dead code in system software?

Yes, more dead code.  The 'F' command is disabled in xdb, but FindAndFix()
wasn't #ifdef'd out.  That's why strings(1) will show these useful
messages.

BTW, this command will be going away in cdb as well.  The HP folks that
translate message-catalogs to non-English were pretty stymied.  Management
politely requested we make it a non-problem.  I'm real sorry, folks.  :-(

         ___
        /  /        John Newman
HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD  Colorado Language Lab
      /__/          jmn@hpfcrt.fc.hp.com
--------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) (11/08/90)

In article <101950164@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> kam@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Marchington) writes:

>I believe that these are responses given when the "f" command is
>given.  "f" is the find and fix bugs command.

The "F" (find bug and fix) command has been in several debuggers.  The first
time I saw it was in 1983 in the AbSoft FORTRAN debugger.

--
Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.
scf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu          260 SW Madison Ave, Suite 109

steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (11/10/90)

/ ld@hpirs.cup.hp.com (Larry Dwyer) / writes:
| Xdb is a souped up version of cdb that runs on the 800 series.
	xdb runs on both the 300s and 800s.  (cdb is 300 only.)

	The differences are mostly syntactic (feature sets are
	almost identical--i.e., cdb also has the HP-UX extensions).

	xdb is also available on MPE/XL.
						Regards, Steve taylor

NOT A STATEMENT, OFFICIAL OR OTHERWISE, OF THE HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.