[comp.sys.hp] trying to remote print ps file to ultrix, help???

greg@cityzoo.acs.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain) (11/07/90)

	Hi all,

	I recently switched from running BSD's lpd to running the SYS V lpsched
and I ran into some problems printing postscript to a ultrix system.
On Ulrtix, we give the lpr a -x option to let it know it's postscript, but
HP-UX's lpsched doesn't want to pass the -x option over the net to the
ulrix box.  I modified the interface script to let it know about the new option
, but the respective files just come out in ascii form on the other end.

	It turns out that the interface file calls /usr/lib/rlp to
do the remote printing to the ultrix box.  But the man page is of no use.

	Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot,
	greg
				Greg Sylvain
				Academic Computing Services
				Systems Programmer

	UUCP:           	...!{uunet}!umbc5!greg
	Internet (Arpa) :	greg@umbc5.umbc.edu
 	BITNET :		GREGS@UMBC

lienhart@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lienhart) (11/08/90)

If the Ultrix system is BSD based, then /usr/lib/rlp is designed to only
send BSD-approved control file entries--See RFC 1179.  In the 8.0 release
of HPUX, this restriction will be strickly enforced.  Also in the 8.0 release
there will be a BSDo option to /usr/lib/rlp that should inform the remote
system that the file contains postscript data.

I know of no way to send a postscript print job from a HPUX system to
a BSD system prior to 8.0--which is not available at the present time.

Bob Lienhart

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (11/13/90)

>I know of no way to send a postscript print job from a HPUX system to
>a BSD system prior to 8.0--which is not available at the present time.
>
>Bob Lienhart

We use a kludge that works by running an rcp/remsh from the HP's to the
BSD system. One could probably set it up as a
shell that did a 'cat file |remsh bsd_system lpr -options'
as this works in the single instance.
The way we have it set up now is a shell, which I think is
built on HP's lpr which is a shell, that rcp's the file to the
bsd's /tmp directory then issues a remsh lp command with delete on
completion. This scheme has been in service for a number of years
here. It was set up by others before me.

Users must have accounts on both systems or you can run suid via a dummy
uid.

There is, somewhere, a properly working bsd lpd for hp-ux - if someone
knows would appreciate hearing about it.

hurf

--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@theory.tn.cornell.edu
     Program of Computer Graphics	 Phone:   607 255 6713

     580 Eng. Theory Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853

corrigan@weber.ucsd.edu (Michael J. Corrigan) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov12.220646.3617@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>>I know of no way to send a postscript print job from a HPUX system to
>>a BSD system prior to 8.0--which is not available at the present time.
>>
>>Bob Lienhart
>
>We use a kludge that works by running an rcp/remsh from the HP's to the
[deleted]

Printing from HP-UX 3.x (800) and 7.0 to BSD systems works fine !
We spool postscript files to Laserwriters that are driven by 4.3 vaxen
and SunOS machines on a daily basis. The remote printer must be "installed"
using the lpadmin -ob3 flag and so on, but that's it. What's the problem ?

(There are some problems with cancelling jobs spooled to the 4.3 system
but not with jobs spooled to the SunOS machine.)

Mike Corrigan
corrigan@ucsd.edu

lienhart@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lienhart) (11/16/90)

>Printing from HP-UX 3.x (800) and 7.0 to BSD systems works fine !
>We spool postscript files to Laserwriters that are driven by 4.3 vaxen
>and SunOS machines on a daily basis. The remote printer must be "installed"
>using the lpadmin -ob3 flag and so on, but that's it. What's the problem ?

I could believe this as long as the printer was a postscript printer
and the datafiles were always postscript text.  This would work
using the BSD "f" filetype (ascii file).  But using the real BSD
"o" filetype (postscript) would never make it through a 7.0 HPUX
remote spool operation.  See RFC-1179 which describes the BSD line
printer protocol.

Bob Lienhart