[comp.sys.hp] system-monitor for hp-ux

rosenb@fuhainf2.uucp (Hans-Juergen Rosenberger) (11/14/90)

Hi,

we are looking for some tool to be able to watch the following activity
on our hp-ux 7.0 system:

usage of cpu, main memory, swap area, disk buffer area, network load and so on.

does anybody out there know about such a tool?

thanks in advance HANS

jmast@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey E. Mast) (11/17/90)

rosenb@fuhainf2.uucp (Hans-Juergen Rosenberger) writes:

>Hi,

>we are looking for some tool to be able to watch the following activity
>on our hp-ux 7.0 system:

>usage of cpu, main memory, swap area, disk buffer area, network load and so on.

>does anybody out there know about such a tool?

>thanks in advance HANS

If you don't have the monitor program included in your distribution
you can obtain it from hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com (15.255.72.15) via anonymous
ftp in the directory pub/Monitor

Jeff Mast
jmast@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (11/17/90)

In article <483@fuhainf.UUCP>, rosenb@fuhainf2.uucp (Hans-Juergen Rosenberger) writes:
> Hi,
>
> we are looking for some tool to be able to watch the following activity
> on our hp-ux 7.0 system:
>
> usage of cpu, main memory, swap area, disk buffer area, network load and so on.
>
> does anybody out there know about such a tool?
>
> thanks in advance HANS

There have already been some articles about the unsupported program monitor.
I just got my HP Support Spotlight newsletter that mentions GlancePlus/UX,
so I think that I can mention this now.

GlancePlus/UX is basicly a supported product very much like monitor.  It's
interactive, full screen based, and has a help feature just like monitor
does.  monitor pokes around /dev/kmem for its info, and often gets confused.
So sometimes monitor tells you that a disk is 120% busy or that there's
-117644567 packets on your network. The 7.0 kernel has a measurement
interface that keeps reliable data for programs like GlancePlus/UX.
LaserRX/UX uses the same interface.

LaserRX/UX has been available for a while.  GlancePlus/UX must be just
recently available.  Both tools are worth your consideration.  I like
them anyway.  (We have had an early release of GlancePlus/UX for a while.)

For those who don't know, LaserRX consists of some software that sits on
the 9000 collecting data on a continuous basis.  You then can move the
data to a PC and analyze it.  It's great for when someone says "man, the
system was slow this morning!" You can find out exactly why it was slow.
Because the process of moving the data is time consuming, LaserRX isn't
real good for telling why a system is slow NOW.  That's where Glance
comes in.  (The PC software is delivered on a CD-ROM, that's where the
"Laser" comes from. I never figured out the "RX".)

Anyway, this is nifty stuff.  Beats the heck out of sar, ps, vmstat, etc.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.