[comp.sys.hp] Monitors and the environment

will@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (David A. Williams) (11/13/90)

Can anyone tell me what the breakeven time is for:

    1.	Leaving an HP (Sony) monitor and conusming electricity,
    2.  Cycling the power and incurring the start-up stress on the
	monitor?

While I realize my actual mileage may vary due to electricity costs, age
of monitor, etc., a good guideline would be useful.

Thanks.

Dave Williams

arnet@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Arne Thormodsen) (11/14/90)

The facilities people here at Cupertino think it is better to turn
off the monitors.  They say that modern equipment can handle the
turn on/off stress.  I am doing this now, although I used to simply
dim monitors when I wasn't using them.

--arne

P.S. - The "old" rule I learned was that if it has vacuum tubes (like
CRT's) or electric motors (like disks) you were better off leaving
it on all the time.  When I do this now though my Sierra Club member-
ship card begins to make accusing noises :-).

njw@doc.ic.ac.uk (Nick Williams) (11/14/90)

I asked this question of a HP engineer recently who came in to
replaced a fried board in two of our monitors :-)

His reply was pretty vague however. The general idea was:
You can leave them on all the time, and it's not a bad idea.
The main problem with that is getting them de-gaussed.

They will automatically de-gauss themselves, on power-*UP*.  Hence if
you leave them on for too long, without a power-cycle, the colours
will supposedly go screwy on the display.

HoHum. How to completely non-answer a question. :-)

Nick

Nick Williams.
njw@doc.ic.ac.uk   ... Dept of Computing, Imperial College, London SW7 2B7.  UK
njw@athena.mit.edu ... Project Athena, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA 02139. USA

Any opinions or views you may find hiding in this message are mine, and not
policy, intent, ideas, twinklings of eyes, or anything at all related with
my current organisation, unless specifically noted as such.

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (11/15/90)

re: HP/Sony monitors

> They will automatically de-gauss themselves, on power-*UP*.  Hence if
> you leave them on for too long, without a power-cycle, the colours
> will supposedly go screwy on the display.

They have to be off for more than just a few seconds before the degauss
circuits will activate.  The degauss makes a distinction humming sound.

Another non-answer:  I turn mine off on weekends, but leave it on weeknights.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@hpfcrjn.FC.HP.COM       3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (11/15/90)

>    1.	Leaving an HP (Sony) monitor and conusming electricity,
>    2.  Cycling the power and incurring the start-up stress on the
>	monitor?

Let's assume you're using the 16" Sonys, which are the least power-hungry.
The specs say they consume about 300 watts, so in one hour you've spent
0.3 kWh on your monitor: that's

	- 7.2 kWh per day,
	- 50.4 kWh per week, or
	- 2620.8 kWh per year.

Now, what does a kilowatt-hour cost in your area, and how does the stress
affect the monitor's AFR?  Let's pick an electric rate out of the air, and
say that a kWh of electricity costs you $0.15.  (I instantly expect tons of
will all be cheerfully ignored.)  If that's what you pay for electricity,
then you would pay $393.12 to leave your monitor on 24 hours a day for a year.
That seems like a bit much to pay so that you NEVER stress your monitor
with a power cycle.  Certainly, the thermal cycling, etc., associated with
the power cycling will degrade the reliability to some degree, but my
experience (from a past life as the engineer responsible for these monitors -
and note that I'm speaking for MYSELF here, NOT for Hewlett-Packard) is that
too much worrying about this just isn't worth it.

I'd suggest that you leave it on during the day, but feel free to turn the
thing off at night.  (BTW, you DON'T have to power down the system to power
down the monitor; the CPU will hum merrily along, even though nothing is
being done with all of the video that it's putting out.)  This has the
added benefit of running the built-in degausser every so often, so that you
catch magnetic (purity) problems before they become too serious for the
built-in coil to handle.  Also, the ecology will thank you, as that's 300W less
heat to worry about, and 300W that doesn't have to be generated for X hours
that you're not using the monitor.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (11/16/90)

myers> If that's what you pay for electricity, then you would pay
myers> $393.12 to leave your monitor on 24 hours a day for a year.

Thanks for that input.  Given that, and figuring I'm at work and need my
display about 240 days a year, 10 hours a day (about 27% duty cycle), I
can save about $285 a year by turning it off when I leave.  I don't have
a support price list handy, but I'm sure a support contract on my
monitor would be more than paid for by this savings, and I wouldn't have
to feel as guilty about the generation of all that nuclear waste at the
power plant.

Rates in my area work out less than the example, but it's in the
ballpark.  I'm going to start turning mine off.

Rob

andrea@sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/16/90)

In article <17330024@hpfcdj.HP.COM> myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
>>    1.	Leaving an HP (Sony) monitor and conusming electricity,
>>    2.  Cycling the power and incurring the start-up stress on the
>>	monitor?
>

>Let's assume you're using the 16" Sonys, which are the least power-hungry.
>The specs say they consume about 300 watts, so in one hour you've spent
>0.3 kWh on your monitor: that's

Do they consume the same amount of power when the screen is "blanked"?

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett Packard, San Diego Technical Graphics Div., R&D Lab
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
_______________________________
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive - Mailstop 61U65, San Diego CA 92127-1899
Voice    : (619) 592-4664

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (11/16/90)

With monitors running at about 500W a piece I can feel the difference
in room temperature if I inadvertently leave mine on (blanked, of
course), overnight. What with energy prices, etc, one should probably
turn the monitor off for any period longer than one hour.
Hardy

----****----
Professor Meinhard E. Mayer
Department of Physics
University of California
Irvine, CA, 92717
USA

ken@staff.cs.uit.no (Ken-Arne Jensen) (11/20/90)

In article <HARDY.90Nov16001417@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>With monitors running at about 500W a piece I can feel the difference
>in room temperature if I inadvertently leave mine on (blanked, of
>course), overnight. What with energy prices, etc, one should probably
>turn the monitor off for any period longer than one hour.
>Hardy

According to the Technical Data for the two 19" monitors 98751A and 98752A, the
Power consumption is 80 Watts. The measured consumption on a 98752A is:
Background:            Illumination:    Current:   Voltage:   Effect:
X11 white background    Full             565mA      230Vac     ~130W
X11 Normal background   Normal           465mA      230Vac     ~105W
X11 ScreenSaver ON      Normal           400mA      230Vac      ~90W

However when turning a cold monitor on, the current is up to 4A a short
while. This is due to De-Gaussing of the CRT.
The Line fuse in the monitor should therefore be:
      - 4A at 90 to 125Vac
      - T3.5A at 198 to 250Vac.

And if you turn the power switch in the front OFF, the monitor still consumes
some power. This is probably due to the design of the switch mode power supply.
The power consumption in OFF condition is measured to be:
140mA at 230Vac that is ~30W.

So the difference in power consumption between Screensaver mode and OFF mode is
just 60W. Of course you could pull the plug to save additionally 30W. :-)

--
//// Ken-Arne Jensen              // Email: ken@staff.cs.uit.no              /
/// Computer Science Department  // MHS: Ken.Jensen@esuit.uit.no            //

briand@sumax.UUCP (Brian Daugherty) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov15.214601.12900@sdd.hp.com> andrea@sdd.hp.com
(Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
>In article <17330024@hpfcdj.HP.COM> myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
>>>    1.	Leaving an HP (Sony) monitor and conusming electricity,
>>>    2.  Cycling the power and incurring the start-up stress on the
>>>	monitor?

My response, as an HP customer, may sound hardnosed.
We have an HP service contract, so we turn them off when they won't be used
frequently.  They seem to hold up well, and if they don't, HP fixes them.
It is a worry free arrangement. (And environmentally conscionable (?):)

(and they do make a horrific noise when they degauss, sounds like a huge
power surge)

My two cents,
Brian Daugherty
(employed student)