[comp.sys.hp] Lan Diagnostic: 'rlb' command

jr@bwilab3.UUCP (Eugene W Coleman) (11/15/90)

O ye people of the net,
	Does anyone know the size and/or content of the test packets (messages)
	that 'rlb' transmits to other hosts on the network.
	I'm thinking of using 'rlb' or 'ping' to test my lan's capacity.
	Either post or mail responses.
	Thanks in advance.
	Jr
* Eugene W. Coleman, Jr  |   Bradley Ward Inc.   |  Mental Marksman at Large  *
*   (404) 396-4292       |   Atlanta, Ga  30328  |  		              *
*	That place we call %*@!&$!   ...uunet!gatech!galbp!bwilab3!jr         *
*									      *
*          HP always asks 'What if', We can't stop asking 'WHY' ?	      *
*									      *

coolidge@speaker.sgi.com (Don Coolidge) (11/29/90)

In article <127@bwilab3.UUCP> jr@bwilab3.UUCP (Eugene W Coleman) writes:

>O ye people of the net,
>	Does anyone know the size and/or content of the test packets (messages)
>	that 'rlb' transmits to other hosts on the network.
>	I'm thinking of using 'rlb' or 'ping' to test my lan's capacity.
>	Either post or mail responses.
>	Thanks in advance.
>	Jr

If you have an heterogenous net, you'd better use ping. rlb is (at least,
used to be) tightly bound to HP's proprietary N(etwork) S(ervices). It's
only included in HP systems that support NS, so nobody else can answer...

There are a few other differences - ping is a level-3 echo, rlb bounces
back from the transport level (4).

As for size or contents - sorry, you need someone closer to the source.

- Don Coolidge
coolidge@speaker.wpd.sgi.com