[comp.sys.hp] HP DeskJet ink Problem

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (11/26/90)

Hello!
I'm having some problems with my HP DeskJet Plus, I bought recently.
If I'm using it in graphics mode (300 dpi), writing text, then there is
too much ink, so the characters have little "spikes" around them.
I am using the regular cartridge and papar for copying machines.
Has anybody had the same problems?
If this has been discussed here before just e-mail, please.
thanks.

Laci Gaspar, university of basel, switzerland.
e-mail: gaspar@urz.unibas.ch

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.125251.1189@urz.unibas.ch> gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:

>If I'm using it in graphics mode (300 dpi), writing text, then there is
>too much ink, so the characters have little "spikes" around them.

This sounds indicative of incorrect paper. If I remember correctly, the
general suggestion was for the paper to have a high cotton content (don't ask
me why). The ultimate test is to simply try different paper types.

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

diingyu@hpss2.HP.COM (Diing Yu Chen) (11/28/90)

I believe that the original requirement for high cotton content
paper is due to the fact that the older deskjet cartridge uses
water based ink. The new desk jet cartridge uses oil based ink
that would solve some of the smudging, spreading problem.

Just my own opinion
diingyu@hpss2

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (11/29/90)

`>
`
`This sounds indicative of incorrect paper. If I remember correctly, the
`general suggestion was for the paper to have a high cotton content (don't ask
`me why). The ultimate test is to simply try different paper types.

I've had this problem periodically with the same paper, and what I eventually
discovered was that it matters which side you print on.  Before buying new
paper, you might want to flip over the paper you have!

`
`--
`*******************************************************************************

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

willa@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Will Allen) (11/29/90)

Sounds like paper problems to me.  You should try printing on BOTH sides of
a particular type of paper before you give up on it.

. . .Will

Will Allen
HP Vancouver Division
willa@vcd.hp.com  or  ...!hplabs!vcd!willa  or  Will ALLEN / HP5400/UX

jbb@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Jim Becker) (12/01/90)

Diing Yu Chen (of HP) Writes:

>I believe that the original requirement for high cotton content
>paper is due to the fact that the older deskjet cartridge uses
>water based ink. The new desk jet cartridge uses oil based ink
>that would solve some of the smudging, spreading problem.

>Just my own opinion

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........   Sorry, The new smear resistant
ink is still water based, and it still works somewhat better on Cotton
bond papers than on "ordinary" copier papers.  As noted in previous
copier papers as well as on the different sides of the paper.

Jim Becker