[comp.sys.hp] update tape format compatibility

jsadler@misty.boeing.com (Jim Sadler) (11/30/90)

We/I need to distribute software/update packages internal to our
company.  I would like to use the update program but I'm not sure on how
to build the tape and the supporting files.  Anyone have any ideas on
whom I should contact ?  Who puts the master HP-UX distribution tape
together ?  Would they be the right contact ?

I did ask the response center, they didn't know whom to contact.

jim sadler
206-234-9009	email	uunet!bcstec!jsadler | jsadler@misty.boeing.com

This service is brought to you by the computing mafia of Boeing (BCS).
Oh ya
None of the above is an opinion of The Boeing Co.

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (12/04/90)

In article <1150055@misty.boeing.com>, jsadler@misty.boeing.com (Jim Sadler) writes:

> We/I need to distribute software/update packages internal to our
> company.  I would like to use the update program but I'm not sure on how
> to build the tape and the supporting files.  Anyone have any ideas on
> whom I should contact ?  Who puts the master HP-UX distribution tape
> together ?  Would they be the right contact ?

I'd be interested in this information too.

Thanks in advance.

--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
 (...uunet!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

baf@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Barb Flahive) (12/05/90)

In the DUI group at UDL an internal tool, fpkg, exists to build update
packages.  It takes the user's data and its description and builds software
packages for tape or the netdist server that update understands.

I maintain a mailing list so that I can keep users of fpkg updated when its
status changes: bug fixes, enhancements, general information.

The current status of the packager:
   "Fpkg, the packaging tool for distributing software using /etc/update,
    is in alpha test.  It will not be shipped in 8.0 so it will not be
    available for use by external customers.   In order to get fpkg
    more exposure before 9.0, we are working with SRDO/manufacturing to
    get it released internally.  By this I mean that SRDO would accept
    the output from fpkg when making customer tapes.  SRDO has been
    testing fpkg and comparing packager output with uxrel's output,
    verfifying its accuracy and its ability to merge with SRDO's
    tape-making tools.  At this point they seem satisified that fpkg
    output will work for them.

    Any internal users are welcome to use the packager for their own
    needs.  Any bugs found or suggestions are welcome, including the
    documentation that comes with the packager"

2) Its functionality:
   When you pick up the packager, as part of the documentation there is
   a "changes.by.version" file that highlights the new functionality and
   bug fixes by release.  I suggest you read it when you get a new version.
   The latest version, 1.6, has support for user symbolic links, as well
   as a new verbose option.  In addition there have been syntax changes
   you need to be aware of.

If you e-mail me I'll be glad to send you directions on how to get the
packager and add you to the mailing list.

Barb Flahive	UDL/Distributed Update & Install
baf@hpfcdg

baf@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Barb Flahive) (12/06/90)

Retracting my earlier offer upon learning this is an external notesfile:

fpkg is an INTERNAL tool only.  As I said in my note, it is not available
for customers at this time.

Barb Flahive
UDL/Distributed Install & Update