[comp.sys.hp] mwm vs. emacs

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (12/06/90)

Mwm on HP9000s3xx/HPUX 7.0 wants to reserve DELETE to popup window menus.
GNU Emacs wants to use DELETE for deleting the character left of the
cursor and BACKSPACE (control-H) for online help.

Is there a way to make mwm not use DELETE for the window menu; e.g., an
"xmodmap" incantation, or a .Xdefaults entry?
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (12/06/90)

In comp.sys.hp, khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:

> Mwm on HP9000s3xx/HPUX 7.0 wants to reserve DELETE to popup window menus.
> GNU Emacs wants to use DELETE for deleting the character left of the
> cursor and BACKSPACE (control-H) for online help.

> Is there a way to make mwm not use DELETE for the window menu; e.g., an
> "xmodmap" incantation, or a .Xdefaults entry?

1. COPY the file "/usr/lib/X11/system.mwmrc" to "$HOME/.mwmrc".

2. Edit the file "$HOME/.mwmrc".

3. In the "DefaultKeyBindings" (*NOT* in "SampleKeyBindings"), delete
   the line:

	Shift<Key>Escape            icon|window             f.post_wmenu

   (In my .mwmrc file, I deleted *all* lines, BUT the one with the
   "f.set_behavior" function.  You may not want to do this, however.)

4. Save the file.

5. Restart mwm.

     If you already have a "$HOME/.mwmrc" file, merge
"/usr/lib/X11/system.mwmrc" into it.

     See the man page for mwm(1) for more details.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

joe@bwdlh111.BNR.CA (Joe Waddington) (12/06/90)

In article <754@parcplace.com>, khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
|>Mwm on HP9000s3xx/HPUX 7.0 wants to reserve DELETE to popup window menus.
|>GNU Emacs wants to use DELETE for deleting the character left of the
|>cursor and BACKSPACE (control-H) for online help.
|>
|>Is there a way to make mwm not use DELETE for the window menu; e.g., an
|>"xmodmap" incantation, or a .Xdefaults entry?
|>--
|>Mike Khaw
|>ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043
|>Domain=khaw@parcplace.com, UUCP=...!{uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!khaw

Look in your .mwmrc file.  There is a key_binding there for
Shift<Key>Escape:       post.wmenu            (from memory)

If you change this (or delete) then your problem will go away.
I changed mine to
Meta<Key>Escape:       post.wmenu

Hope this helps ,

Joe

Please remember that these opinions are mine, and mine alone.
      ( a fact I'm not always eager to admit.  ;-) )
Joe Waddington       joe@bnr.ca        Bell Northern Research

fred@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Fred Appelman) (12/06/90)

In <754@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:

>Mwm on HP9000s3xx/HPUX 7.0 wants to reserve DELETE to popup window menus.
>GNU Emacs wants to use DELETE for deleting the character left of the
>cursor and BACKSPACE (control-H) for online help.

You can easily define the settings of the DELETE key in you .mwmrc file.
Look for a line which starts with:

	Shift<Key>Escape

This is the line which defines the behaviour of mwm when pressing the
DELETE key. If you remove it, I guess your problems have disappeared.

	Fred
--
Fred J.R. Appelman, 3D Computer Vision, Utrecht University
AZU, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands.