[comp.sys.hp] Signal Processing Card

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (11/30/90)

20/10 questions: :-)

Does anyone know of a vendor who makes attached signal processing
cards for an HP300 series workstation, running UNIX and programming
in C or FORTRAN?  I can only find companies that provide cards for
BASIC or PASCAL workstation varieties.  Ideally, the card should be
able to do a 1Meg or so FFT, and the price can be high if necessary :-)

Do any of the HP dudes know if WGL (Waveform Generation Language)
that controls an AWS (Arbitrary Waveform Synthesizer) can run under
UNIX?  Our current BASIC (blecch!) quirkstation is a 9000/310, so it
is VERY slooooooow.  We have the HP RMB emulator program under HP-UX,
if that helps...  The HP reps here said that you couldn't because
WGL needs an antique variety of display screen only available on a
310(!)  Is this really true?

Tony Burzio               * Buy American,
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlab!burzio@uunet.uu.net *   or don't complain about the economy!

albert@hpuplca.HP.COM ( Albert Alcorn ) (11/30/90)

The main reason that WGL will not run under RMB-UX is that WGL uses
a lot of code in compiled subroutines (CSUBS). This is not portable
to RMB-UX.

The Display Compatability card will run (I think) with hp-ux but not
with X-Windows.

Much of what WGL does can be duplicated in BASIC with simple subs.
For example:

	10 SUB Ramp(Workingwave(*),Wstart,Wstop)
	20    Stepsize=2/(Wstop-Wstart+1)
	30    Stepval=-1
	40    FOR I=Wstart to Wstop
	50       Workingwave(I)=Stepval
	60       Stepval=Stepval+Stepsize
	70    NEXT I
	80 SUBEND

I have heard that someone had performed just about all of the WGL
functions with Mathmatica.

Albert Alcorn
HP Systems Engineer
(408) 988-7304

kk@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Konstantinos Konstantinides) (12/01/90)

Try TETRA Systems Incorporated. They developed a DSP card based
on the TMS320xxx

Talk to Ho John Lee: tetra!hlee@uunet.UU.NET

K. Konstantinides
kk@hpkronos.hpl.hp.com

yamamoto@rasc3.kurasc.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Mamoru Yamamoto) (12/01/90)

In article <51@gauss.mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>20/10 questions: :-)
>Does anyone know of a vendor who makes attached signal processing
>cards for an HP300 series workstation, running UNIX and programming
>in C or FORTRAN?

I have a product note for a signal processing borad
"SUPERCARD SC-2/VME" which can be used with HP9000/3xx HP-UX 7.0.
It says that this board calculates FFT (1K complex to complex,
bit reversal, memory to memory) in 1.0 msec.

The following is the address of the company,
	CSP Inc.
	40 Linnell Circle,
	Billerica, MA 01821,
	U.S.A.,
	617-272-6020 (FAX 508-663-0150)

				Mamoru Yamamoto
				Radio Atmospheric Science Center,
				Kyoto University
				JAPAN

briand@sumax.UUCP (Brian Daugherty) (12/08/90)

>In article <51@gauss.mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>>20/10 questions: :-)
>>Does anyone know of a vendor who makes attached signal processing
>>cards for an HP300 series workstation, running UNIX and programming
>>in C or FORTRAN?

Ariel makes an inexpensive card that fits into a DIO slot inside the HP
9000/300 family computers.
It is pretty cheap, and supports HP-UX, Pascal Workstation OS, and BASIC.
FFT time is about 5 mSecs, as I recall.
I don't have the address handy, but they are located on the East coast of
the US.
Hope this is useful.
Brian