[comp.sys.hp] 3rd party SCSI disc's for a 400t

curt@oce.orst.edu (Curt Vandetta) (11/28/90)

Hello folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has a good source for 3rd Party SCSI disc's for
an HP 9000/400t.  What I'm really looking for, but not sure that they
exist yet, is a SCSI II disc.  One that can take advantage of the faster
bus?  I've put more than one SCSI disc on a Sun (Ooops, can I say that
in this group :-) but the disks are Old SCSI and require a SCSI II ->
SCSI cable, doesn't really make sense to have the faster SCSI if I'm not
going to be using it.

Also I would like to hear from people that have added, "unsupported"
disks to HP 9000s, I'm not exactly sure what I'm setting myself up for.

Thanks,
Curt

  Curt Vandetta				College of Oceanography
  curt@oce.orst.edu			Oregon State University

jr@bwilab3.UUCP (Eugene W Coleman) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov27.230644.4918@scion.CS.ORST.EDU>, curt@oce.orst.edu (Curt Vandetta) writes:
> I'm wondering if anyone has a good source for 3rd Party SCSI disc's for
> an HP 9000/400t.
> Also I would like to hear from people that have added, "unsupported"
> disks to HP 9000s, I'm not exactly sure what I'm setting myself up for.

Curt,
	The best way to get a compatible SCSI drive is select one that
	is listed in the '/etc/disktab'. Usually the very last drives listed
	in that file have the make and model defined in comments above the
	disks' parameters. e.g. MAXTOR, RODIME, FUJITSU, CONNER etc...
	Hope this helps.

* Eugene W. Coleman, Jr  |   Bradley Ward Inc.   |  Mental Marksman at Large  *
*   (404) 396-4292       |   Atlanta, Ga  30328  |  		              *
*	That place we call %*@!&$!   ...uunet!gatech!galbp!bwilab3!jr         *
*									      *
*          HP always asks 'What if', We can't stop asking 'WHY' ?	      *
*									      *

bob@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Lanfranco Albani) (12/03/90)

jr@bwilab3.UUCP (Eugene W Coleman) writes:

>In article <1990Nov27.230644.4918@scion.CS.ORST.EDU>, curt@oce.orst.edu (Curt Vandetta) writes:
>> I'm wondering if anyone has a good source for 3rd Party SCSI disc's for
>> an HP 9000/400t.
>> Also I would like to hear from people that have added, "unsupported"
>> disks to HP 9000s, I'm not exactly sure what I'm setting myself up for.
>	The best way to get a compatible SCSI drive is select one that
>	is listed in the '/etc/disktab'. Usually the very last drives listed

Not only the drives in /etc/disktab.
We try to add a pair of Maxtor SCSI to a bunch of 400t we own.
First we try with the XT-4380S.  But it was a total failure.
I suspect the drive is fault (no time to test... :-( ).
Then the XT-8760S, the that boy run fine.

Here is my /etc/disktab entry:

maxtor8|maxtor8_xt8000:\
	:40 Mbytes swap:ns#27:nt#15:nc#1512:\
	:s0#612360:b0#8192:f0#1024:\
	:se#512:rm#3600:

How you can see we add another 40 Mb swap area.
Curiously, S.A.M. refuse to complete the ADD HARD DISK procedure.
I'm sure to have inserted the proper entries in /etc/disktab and
/etc/master, but SAM don't agree...
Anyway the Maxtor drive run fine and quick:
IOSTONE reports 9400 for the internal drive and 11600 for the Maxtor.

WARNING: be sure to set the SCSI number for the external drive to 5!!!

Hope this help...

Bye
			Lanfranco

--
Lanfranco Albani - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) bob@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) bob@allan.sublink.org

lepreau%mancos.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Jay Lepreau) (12/07/90)

About a year ago we discovered one can get HP 660MB SCSI's (HP97548)
with a 5 year warranty from distributors, for cheap (< $2200). We have
bought lots of them, stuck them in cans, and they've been great.  HP
OEM's lots of these to other vendors.  To buy the same disk mech from HP
directly, in an expandable can, is the C2213 and lists at $6375.  (The
2213 does have different firmware which makes Unix reads go faster.)  We
are using a couple on a 400t right now (with our BSD unix, not HP-UX).
Other manufacturers (Hitachi, Fujitsu) are now in the game for about the
same price and terms, but we haven't tried them.

You can also get a 1 GB (formatted) HP SCSI, the HP97549. It definitely
is SCSI-II.  The 660's are still a little cheaper per byte.
(Since we can do disk striping/concatenation, the smaller disk size
doesn't prevent us from having bigger filesystems, plus we get an extra arm.)

korfhage@polyof.poly.edu (A1 willard korfhage (cs) ) (12/09/90)

> About a year ago we discovered one can get HP 660MB SCSI's (HP97548)
> with a 5 year warranty from distributors, for cheap (< $2200).

In the latest MacWeek (12/4), I noticed ClubMac selling HP disks.
330 MB $1399, 635MB $2049, 1GB $3149 (internal disks, add $80 for external)
Their number is 1-800-258-2662. I have bought equipement from them, and
their prices are quite low, and tech support is of moderate quality.
However, they are a Macinstosh company, so you would be on your own
when it comes to help putting it in your 400. I have no other relationship
with them other than as a reasonably satisfied customer.

   Willard Korfhage