[comp.sys.hp] Sendmail 5.65+IDA

mahesh@cs.fau.edu (Mahesh Neelakanta) (12/05/90)

It's 3 am and I'm not getting anywhere...I seem to be having
a small problem with sendmail. I have compiled sendmail+ida
5.65 for hp-ux 7.0 and everything is working real nicely. The
IDA extensions are real helpful. My problem is that after a
smtp connection to my sendmail, the process that was fork'd
from the daemon to handle this connection does not exit..it
becomes a <defunct>. Read the man pages on how this should
work and found out that the parent process should wait().
Well, the parent process does do that and I verified with
some "syslog()"'s. So, why does the child still hang around
as <defunct>? Has this happened to anyone else? Reply by
post's or email depending on how crazy this message is.
Thanks.

Mahesh Neelakanta (mahes@cs.fau.edu)
Tired student living off 10 cans of soda per day.

ps. Anyone having problems with syslog(LOG_DEBUG,....)?

rodean@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bruce Rodean) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec05.082250.21765@cs.fau.edu> mahesh@cs.fau.edu (Mahesh Neelakanta) writes:
> It's 3 am and I'm not getting anywhere...I seem to be having
> a small problem with sendmail...

Sorry, I cannot help you here.

> ps. Anyone having problems with syslog(LOG_DEBUG,....)?

Do you care to be more specific?

Bruce Rodean
rodean@hpfclg.fc.hp.com

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (12/12/90)

Processes with pending I/O can become defunct when terminated
abnormally.  I've seen this happen on ptys when the master side process
dies and can't be read from the slave.  If the slave was then killed it
became defunct (hung in exit() somewhere).  I guess there are lots of
other ways this can happen, probably mostly on slow devices.

Rob Robason