[comp.sys.hp] Help, cc said "Symbol table overflow"

rocky@polyof.poly.edu (A1 rocky shiotsuki (staff) ) (12/10/90)

  Hi netpeople,

  Please advice me for my problem.
  I try to compile a C source code on HP 9000 series 400
as followed:

        cc -c -g TtyText.c
then the compiler gave a error message that
   Symbol table overflow. Try the -Wc,-Ns option.

Ok, I try again with option
        cc -c -g -Wc,-Ns TtyText.c
the compiler stil gave me a error that
   , line 0: warning: Table size specified too small (ignored)
   Symbol table overflow. Try the -Wc,-Ns option.

  I'm new to unix system, I never see this error message before on
anyother unix system. How can I bigger symbol table?

  Thanks in advance...
Rocky Shiotsuki				Internet: rocky@puscs.poly.edu
Systems Programmer					128.238.5.8
Polytechnic University
333 Jay Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201

robs@hpuamsa.neth.hp.com (Rob Slotemaker CRC) (12/12/90)

You must specify a number, like:

  cc -c -g -Wc,-Ns4000 TtyText.c

See cc(1) for more information. Default values are:

  - a = 10000; Maximum size of the asciz table.
  - b = 100; Maximum size of the bc table.
  - d = 1000; Initial size of the dimtab table.
  - e = 350; Maximum number of nodes per statement.
  - p = 150; Maximum size of the parameter stack.
  - s = 2000; Maximum size of the symbol table.
  - t = 20000; Maximum size of the tasciz table.
  - w = 250; Maximum size of the switch table stack.

Best regards,

Rob Slotemaker, Dutch CRC

mev@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Vermeulen) (12/13/90)

>         cc -c -g TtyText.c
>
> then the compiler gave a error message that
> Symbol table overflow. Try the -Wc,-Ns option.

The -Wc,-Ns option should be followed by the number of symbols to be allocated.
For example:

	-Wc,-Ns4000

Will allocate symbol table space for 4000 symbols.  By default, space is
allocated for 2000 symbols.  For compiler releases after hp-ux 7.0, the
-Wc,-Nx options are no longer necessary; all tables expand automatically.

--mev

Disclaimer: Not an official HP response.

gates@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bill Gates) (12/13/90)

>   Symbol table overflow. Try the -Wc,-Ns option.

If you check out the cc(1) man page in the HP-UX reference, you'll see that
-N is the global option you need, "s" is the sub-option stating which table
is to be re-sized, and a following number is the desired number of entries.
The default number of entries in the symbol table is 2000.  You can increase
its size with something like:

    -Wc,-Ns4000

Hope this helps,

Bill Gates

cnbr10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec9.184701.22354@polyof.poly.edu>, rocky@polyof.poly.edu (A1 rocky shiotsuki (staff) ) writes:

>  Please advice me for my problem.
>  I try to compile a C source code on HP 9000 series 400
>as followed:
>
>        cc -c -g TtyText.c
>then the compiler gave a error message that
>   Symbol table overflow. Try the -Wc,-Ns option.
>
>Ok, I try again with option
>        cc -c -g -Wc,-Ns TtyText.c
>the compiler stil gave me a error that
>   , line 0: warning: Table size specified too small (ignored)
>   Symbol table overflow. Try the -Wc,-Ns option.

When it suggests that you use the -Wc,-Ns option it omits to tell you that
you have to supply a symbol table size value: e.g. Try this:

	cc -c -g -Wc,-Ns10000 TtyText.c

Where 10000 is the size of the symbol table...
Try larger values if this is still not enough! :-)

David J.Young
  /~\           Never Trust An  |  CNBR10 Corp., VAX/VMS and UNIX Consultants
 /@@-\____---   Elephant In     |  "Pay up or we send the boys round to wipe
 / / /       \  Dark Glasses.   |   your system disk"
 \l lll   lll                   |          Service with a smile. :-)