[comp.sys.hp] how to get longer file names?

mike@penguin.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) (12/07/90)

Hi,

	I don't suppose that there is any way to allow my file
names to be longer that 14 characters, is there?  If there is, please
tell me how.  Also, please, please tell me that I don't have to hack
the kernel.

	Thanks,
	Mike Gourlay
	mike@penguin.gatech.edu

campbell@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Heather Campbell) (12/07/90)

You don't have to hack the kernel :-)

You need to execute the "convertfs" command.  See the manpage or manual for
details.

Heather

Heather Campbell
Information Networks Division, Hewlett-Packard Co.
Mail: campbell@hpindqa.cup.hp.com
Disclaimer: Not a statement, official or otherwise, of Hewlett-Packard Co.

edwin@cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (12/07/90)

In <1990Dec6.123154@dali.gatech.edu> mike@penguin.gatech.edu
(Mike Gourlay) writes:

   | 	I don't suppose that there is any way to allow my file
   | names to be longer that 14 characters, is there?
Well, that depends on what system you're talking about: HP Vectra running
Messy-Dos?? HP9000 series 300/800/400 running HP-UX???

Ok, let's assume that you're talking about the HP9000 series 300/800/400
running HP-UX 6.5/7.0....
Yes, you can use longer (255 chars) filenames:

	1) if you decide to create a filesystem with long filenames on an
	   empty disk, use the '-L' option from "newfs", like in:

		# newfs -L -n -v /dev/rdsk/some_disk your_disk_type

	2) if you already have a filesystem with SHORT filenames, you
	   have the opportunity to convert it to a filesystem with long
	   filenames: SAM can do it for you (or use ``convertfs'').

Some additional notes:

	- by default, 'newfs' creates a filesystem of the same format
	  as the root filesystem -- so if the rootfilesystem has long
	  filenames enabled, you don't have to use the '-L' flag.
	- if you convert a filesystem, you might have to recompile
	  some locally-added software that uses the 'directory(3)'
	  routines. Refer to chapter 6 in "HP-UX System Administration
	  Tasks" (part. no. 98594-90061)

				good luck,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.123154@dali.gatech.edu>, mike@penguin.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) writes:

> 	I don't suppose that there is any way to allow my file
> names to be longer that 14 characters, is there?

Check out convertfs(1M).

--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
 (...uunet!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

ralfw@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Ralf Wiegert) (12/07/90)

>	I don't suppose that there is any way to allow my file
>names to be longer that 14 characters, is there?  If there is, please
>tell me how.  Also, please, please tell me that I don't have to hack
>the kernel.

There is a way, see convertfs(1M).

paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.123154@dali.gatech.edu> mike@penguin.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) writes:
>Hi,
>
>	I don't suppose that there is any way to allow my file
>names to be longer that 14 characters, is there?  If there is, please
>tell me how.  Also, please, please tell me that I don't have to hack
>the kernel.

No worries.... Use convertfs(1m) to get long (255-char) filenames on existing
filesystems; newfs -L will create a new filesystem that support long names.
I'm pretty sure both were included at hp-ux 6.5 and have done several
conversions under 7.0.

Caveats: I've never had any problem w/ either command, but have heard that
folks have managed to corrupt their filesystems w/convertfs.  Definitely
backup first!!  Also, if you're in the business of creating libs, be warned
that ar will NOT correctly archive files that have 15+ char filenames.
HP knows this, so maybe there's a patch.  Else you wait for 8.0.

--
Paul B. Booth  (paul@eye.com) (...!hplabs!hpfcla!eye!paul)
3D/EYE, Inc., 2359 N. Triphammer Rd., Ithaca, NY  14850    voice: (607)257-1381

greiner@col.hp.com (Mike Greiner) (12/08/90)

>Hi,
>
>	I don't suppose that there is any way to allow my file
>names to be longer that 14 characters, is there?  If there is, please
>tell me how.  Also, please, please tell me that I don't have to hack
>the kernel.
>
>	Thanks,
>	Mike Gourlay
>	mike@penguin.gatech.edu
>----------

Sure there is, here's an excerpt from the convertfs man page:

     CONVERTFS(1M)                                       CONVERTFS(1M)

     NAME
          convertfs - convert a file system to allow long file names

     DESCRIPTION
          Convertfs converts an existing HFS file system supporting
          the default maximum file name length of 14 characters into
          one that supports file names up to 255 characters long.
          Once an HFS file system is converted to long file names, it
          cannot be restored to its original state, since the longer
          file names require a directory representation that is
          incompatible with the default HFS directory format.  Since
          this is an irreversible operation, convertfs prompts for
          verification before it performs a conversion.

Check out the rest of the manpage for full story.

--Mike

# Mike Greiner                      greiner@col.hp.com        #
# Information Technology                                      #
# Colorado Springs Division  Standard disclaimer:             #
# Hewlett-Packard            "My own suggestion, not HP's"    #

shekhar@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Shekhar Bhide) (12/08/90)

Run convertfs, but run the man page first :-)

If you had typed,
	man -k long
or  man -k "long file names"

you would have got

convertfs(1M)           - convert a file system to allow long file names

Its all on-line!

shekhar

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (12/11/90)

>Also, if you're in the business of creating libs, be warned
>that ar will NOT correctly archive files that have 15+ char filenames.
>HP knows this, so maybe there's a patch.  Else you wait for 8.0.

This is part of the design of the portable ar(1) format, I'm afraid.  Domain
supports long filenames in a non-standard way (ie, Domain archives with long
filenames are not completely portable to other systems), but no other available
Un*x's I'm aware of (not SunOS, BSD, or SVR3) can handle long filenames in an
ar(1) archive.  SVR4 has support for this, however, and we expect that other
vendors will adopt this support soon.  We hope to incorporate it in a future
release.

Different vendors react to long filenames in different ways.  HP-UX looks at
the full filename for comparisons and then truncates for storage, so if for
example you try to replace "thisisalongfilename", your filename will not match
the truncated version in the library.  Your file will be inserted into the
archive with its name truncated (thus there will be two versions of your file
in the archive).  The alternative would have been to overwrite any file with
a similar name, but then you might accidentally overwrite
"thisisalongfilename1" with "thisisalongfilename2", losing the original file.
With the current behavior, if your filename is longer than 14 characters,
either delete the original file from the archive before inserting the new
version, or temporarily rename the new file to truncated name before replacing
it.

Note if you do have files that are not unique in the first 14 characters, HP's
ar(1) will indeed let you keep them both in the same archive, and ld(1) can
handle that.  They will show up with the same truncated name in the table of
contents, however, and replacing, extracting or deleting one of them can be
tricky.  We feel this is better than the alternatives of not allowing similar
filenames to coexist, or having a non-portable format.

--------------
Marc Sabatella (marc@hpmonk.fc.hp.com)
Disclaimers:
	2 + 2 = 3, for suitably small values of 2
	Bill and Dave may not always agree with me

diingyu@hpss2.HP.COM (Diing Yu Chen) (12/11/90)

Hi,

Actually you can ! The HPUX operating system allows either 14 chararcters
for filename (SYSV) or variable length filenames (upto 256 bytes). To do that
use SAM (system admin Manager), go to File System section and select
"Convert File System to Long File Names ...". This would change the default
14 char filename to allow for longer filenames.

regards

Diing Yu Chen
Hewlett Packard (Sales) Singapore

hmitani@fubuki.e5.drl.mei.co.jp (Mitani Hiroshi) (12/13/90)

From article <4470@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, by edwin@cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer):

> 	- if you convert a filesystem, you might have to recompile
> 	  some locally-added software that uses the 'directory(3)'
> 	  routines. Refer to chapter 6 in "HP-UX System Administration
> 	  Tasks" (part. no. 98594-90061)

Please tell me about 'some locally-added software'.
If X,GNU emacs or TeX need recompiling, I give up trying 'convertfs'.

Thanks.

--
Hiroshi Mitani                   Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd.
Image Technology Research Lab.       1006, Kadama,Kadama-shi,Osaka,JAPAN

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (12/19/90)

> Please tell me about 'some locally-added software'.
> If X,GNU emacs or TeX need recompiling, I give up trying 'convertfs'.

The only ones that need re-compiling are those that do directory traversal,
*AND* have been compiled on HP-UX 6.2 or older.

If these executables are compiled on any recent HP-UX (6.5, 7.0), then they
don't need recompilation after "convertfs".
----
Shankar Unni.