[comp.sys.hp] What to buy with $150,000 ?

lipman@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Lipman) (11/30/90)

I've posted this so amny other places, I might as well post it here
too.  We have $150,000 to spend on hardware for a computer
graphics visualization system.  Currently, we have an Apollo netwrok
with about 25 nodes.  We're looking to do animation of finite
element analysis results and CFD stuff.  Obviously, at this
dollar level we'll get a lot of CPU speed.

What would you buy? HP, Apollo, SGI, SUN, STARDENT?  How would
you configure your dream system.

Thanks in advance, e-mail please,

Bob Lipman

anderson@lynx.cat.syr.edu (Joseph Anderson) (12/26/90)

In article <4581@oasys.dt.navy.mil> lipman@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Robert Lipman) writes:
>I've posted this so amny other places, I might as well post it here
>too.  We have $150,000 to spend on hardware for a computer
>graphics visualization system.  Currently, we have an Apollo netwrok
>with about 25 nodes.  We're looking to do animation of finite
>element analysis results and CFD stuff.  Obviously, at this
>dollar level we'll get a lot of CPU speed.
>
>What would you buy? HP, Apollo, SGI, SUN, STARDENT?  How would
>you configure your dream system.
>
>Thanks in advance, e-mail please,
>
>Bob Lipman

	Mr. Lipmann:  if my suggestion carries with your desires
		      can we talk resource sharing, as some programs
		      I want to run and you've got the hardware?

			My experiences are with the Silicon Graphics
			Systems and a New Processor involing
			Sun Sparc advanced series which may beat
			Silicon Graphics (we shall see, however)

			Primarily I do molecuarl graphical simulations
			(i do it better than spelling) of conformations
			binding and reactions.

	anderson@cat.syr.edu
	315-474-0342