[comp.sys.hp] Xylogics AnnexII

lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (3787 x4108) (12/21/90)

good day.   i have just acquired an annexII IP terminal server. it downloads
the s/w from a host, not using tftp, but rather there own code called erpcd.

this server program is have a bit of trouble compiling on the hp822S i have.
anyone have any luck with this code or beast?

--
Lance R. Bailey  Systems Manager        box: Robarts Research Institute
          email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca              Clinical Trials Resources Group

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (12/31/90)

In article <1949@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (3787 x4108) writes:

>good day.   i have just acquired an annexII IP terminal server. it downloads
>the s/w from a host, not using tftp, but rather there own code called erpcd.

>this server program is have a bit of trouble compiling on the hp822S i have.
>anyone have any luck with this code or beast?

>Lance R. Bailey  Systems Manager        box: Robarts Research Institute

Are you sure about this?
We've got Annexes, and I always thought they used rcp or something like that.
I believe that the erpcd is an error logger daemon. I'm not sure, but I don't
think it is required for booting the Annex.

Mat

ps - ours are Annex I's
--
W Mat Waites              |  Walking the wire is living,
{gatech,emory}!emcard!mat |  the rest is just waiting. - Wallenda

lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (12/31/90)

In article <8271@emcard.UUCP> mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:
>Are you sure about this?
>I believe that the erpcd is an error logger daemon. I'm not sure, but I don't
>think it is required for booting the Annex.

oh yes, quite sure. erpcd might also be used to log errors, but it is definatly
needed to load the code at boot time.
no erpcd running = no boot. erpcd running = boot.

the problem (as solved mere packing-hours away from flight time :-) was an
error in the instructions for HP-UX compiling. a few extra steps were
inadvertantly left out.

>ps - ours are Annex I's
that must be the difference

i searched for a LOONG time for a new terminal server, the annex II is
a wonderful piece of machinery. i recommend it highly.
--

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (01/02/91)

In article <8271@emcard.UUCP>, mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:
> In article <1949@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (3787 x4108) writes:
>
> >good day.   i have just acquired an annexII IP terminal server. it downloads
> >the s/w from a host, not using tftp, but rather there own code called erpcd.
> >this server program is have a bit of trouble compiling on the hp822S i have.
> >anyone have any luck with this code or beast?

We have four Annex II's and we use an HP 9000/815, 9000/835, and 386 boxes
running SCO Xenix as boot servers.  The documentation for building the
software under HP-UX is incorrect. Call Xylogics and they will give you the
correct information.  I struggled with it myself for a day and a half and then
finally called Xylogics and they straightened me out in about 10 minutes.
I think the comiple actually completed while I was on the phone with the
rep.

> Are you sure about this?
> We've got Annexes, and I always thought they used rcp or something like that.
> I believe that the erpcd is an error logger daemon. I'm not sure, but I don't
> think it is required for booting the Annex.

Nope.  Erpcd is the boot server program.  The annexes use syslog facilities for
error reporting (and all other kinds of info, too).
> Mat
>
> ps - ours are Annex I's

They may have used a different procedure.  The Annex II's definitely use the
erpcd program from Xylogics to boot from the host computer.  Actually, I don't
think there's even an option, except booting from another Annex, but something
has to feed the first one. :-)

If you have any trouble getting the correct info from Xylogics (and you
shouldn't - our Xylogics rep has been great!), drop me a line and I can dig
it out for you.

In article <1977@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) writes:

> that must be the difference
>
> i searched for a LOONG time for a new terminal server, the annex II is
> a wonderful piece of machinery. i recommend it highly.

We also like the Annexes very much.  The only real trouble we have is that
when the Annexes reboot, but the computer system does not (e.g. after a
power outage, since the computer is on a UPS but the Annexes are in remote
locations and are not), the rlogin processes started by people logging in over
the Annex (we use dedicated port "rlogin" with a dedicated address for our
computer, essentially making the terminals appear directly connected to our
mainly unsophisticated users) don't die.  They just hang around until we
kill them or reboot the computer.  We've talked to Xylogics and HP and haven't
really come up with anything.  We're planning on buying small UPS's for the
Annexes which will eliminate the problem during small outages, but we'll
still have it when longer outages occur.

Other than that, the Annexes have been great. We connect terminals, serial
and parallel printers, and they all work great.
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

alex@sapphire.idbsu.edu (Alex Feldman) (01/04/91)

In article <8271@emcard.UUCP> mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:
>In article <1949@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (3787 x4108) writes:
>
>>good day.   i have just acquired an annexII IP terminal server. it downloads
>>the s/w from a host, not using tftp, but rather there own code called erpcd.
>
>>this server program is have a bit of trouble compiling on the hp822S i have.
>>anyone have any luck with this code or beast?
>
>>Lance R. Bailey  Systems Manager        box: Robarts Research Institute
>
>Are you sure about this?
>We've got Annexes, and I always thought they used rcp or something like that.
>I believe that the erpcd is an error logger daemon. I'm not sure, but I don't
>think it is required for booting the Annex.
>
>Mat
>
>ps - ours are Annex I's
>--
>W Mat Waites              |  Walking the wire is living,
>{gatech,emory}!emcard!mat |  the rest is just waiting. - Wallenda

The erpc daemon is the beast that downloads the boot image to the
Annex.  This is certainly the case on the Annex II, and I am almost
certain that it is the case on the original Annex as well.

We are running version 4.1 of the Annex software, and as I recall
I spent less than an hour compiling the software on our HP 9000/400t.
There was nothing big missing.  We are running HPUX 7.03

I could send you binaries, but I suggest you contact Xylogics.  Back
when we first got these Annexes, we booted them off a 3B2, and the
boot code required some hacking.  Encore (they were selling the Annex
then) sent me a special tape that worked fine.

	--alex

--
	--alex			alex@opal.idbsu.edu

Boise State University doesn't have any opinions.  Therefore, these are
not the opinions of Boise State University.