[comp.sys.hp] Recompiling top under 7.0

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (01/08/91)

Hi, gang,

When trying to recompile "top" under HPUX 7.0 on 9000/835,
I get:

/usr/include/sys/proc.h: 24: Can't find include file sys/fss.h

Am I missing something that I should have? Is this a common problem to be
missing this file?

Thanks,
Mat

--
W Mat Waites              |  Walking the wire is living,
{gatech,emory}!emcard!mat |  the rest is just waiting. - Wallenda

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (01/09/91)

Following up my own article:
In article <8276@emcard.UUCP> mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:

>Hi, gang,
>
>When trying to recompile "top" under HPUX 7.0 on 9000/835,
>I get:
>
>/usr/include/sys/proc.h: 24: Can't find include file sys/fss.h
>
>Am I missing something that I should have? Is this a common problem to be
>missing this file?

Although I had already found it,
emory!weber.ucsd.edu!corrigan wrote to me in mail:

This file is in /etc/conf/h and if that fixes the compile I'll laugh.
---

I found the file in conf/h myself, copied it to sys/include and, VOILA
it works!

Looks like HP screwed up by not putting this file (or a link) everywhere
it should be....?

Mat
--

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (01/10/91)

In article <8276@emcard.UUCP>, mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:

> When trying to recompile "top" under HPUX 7.0 on 9000/835,
> I get:
> /usr/include/sys/proc.h: 24: Can't find include file sys/fss.h

We encountered the same problem when we upgraded to 7.0.  But we
found a file named fss.h in /etc/conf/h/ and so we just created a
symbolic link "ln -s /etc/conf/h/fss.h /usr/include/sys/fss.h" and
we got our program to compile (it wasn't top).  I'm not 100 % sure
that this fss.h is the "right" one, so some caution is advisable here.
Hope this helps.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.

mck@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Doug McKenzie) (01/10/91)

> When trying to recompile "top" under HPUX 7.0 on 9000/835,
> I get:
>
> /usr/include/sys/proc.h: 24: Can't find include file sys/fss.h
>
> Am I missing something that I should have? Is this a common problem to be
> missing this file?

Anytime you #include <sys/proc.h>, you'll see this.  proc.h incorrectly
refers to /usr/include/sys/fss.h, which is a header file used only for an HP
special project.  It should not have been shipped, and it's not needed for
anything on the system (other than proc.h :-).

To fix the problem create a one-line file /usr/include/sys/fss.h containing
the line:
extern struct fss ; /* To pacify the proc.h file: serves no other purpose */

Doug McKenzie
HP-UX Support

mike@hpwin052.HP.COM (Mike Croom) (01/10/91)

It may be something to do with the fact that the include directories used
to be linked at 3.1 but that link was broken (manually) as part of the 7.0
upgrade.

Mike Croom HP