[comp.sys.hp] All you HP experts, please HELP me................

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (12/18/90)

Hello all,

I am in dire straights......

My company uses an HP3000/960 for their MIS/data processing
dept. I in Engineering run a software package on a SUN
Sparcstation (no other choice, thats all it runs on)......

Anyway, we have a database system by ASK that requires
"block mode" terminal emulation.

How can I emulate this on my Sparc so I can have access to
our HP and be a team player here ????

This is urgent, please offer any suggestion you can.

Thank you in advance.......

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

jfk@ais.org (Jim Knight) (12/19/90)

In article <52129@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>My company uses an HP3000/960 for their MIS/data processing
>dept. I in Engineering run a software package on a SUN
>Sparcstation (no other choice, thats all it runs on)......

  An interesting combination.

>Anyway, we have a database system by ASK that requires
>"block mode" terminal emulation.

  Unfortunately, block mode terminal emulators are not a dime a dozen,
  and I know of none in the public domain.  Even then it would require
  porting to your sun.  Block mode programs make extensive use of Hp
  specific terminal functions, your only choice may be to add either
  a terminal or a PC to your desk.

Come Visit M-net.  Michigan's Public Access Unix and Conferencing
                         (313) 994-5023
jfk@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us                             jfk@ais.org

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (12/19/90)

In article <52129@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>My company uses an HP3000/960 for their MIS/data processing
>dept. I in Engineering run a software package on a SUN
>Sparcstation (no other choice, thats all it runs on)......
>
>Anyway, we have a database system by ASK that requires
>"block mode" terminal emulation.
>
>How can I emulate this on my Sparc so I can have access to
>our HP and be a team player here ????

There is a program that HP wrote for the HP9000/800 series (running HPUX)
that emulates block mode on there.  I would imagine that one could port
it over without a great deal of difficulty.  It's written in C.  The
program should be available from your local HP office or can be obtained
from Interex (The International Hewlett Packard Users Group) in their
contributed software library (requires membership to obtain the library).
The program is called blockterm.

--
| R. Arthur Gentry  Gentry and Associates  Excelsior Springs,  MO  64024 |
| Email: gentry@genco.bungi.com     MA Bell Voice: 816-637-2443          |

dhandly@hpcllz2.HP.COM (Dennis Handly) (12/20/90)

>/ v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) /  5:50 am  Dec 18, 1990 /
>My company uses an HP3000/960 for their MIS/data processing dept. I in
>Engineering run a software package on a SUN Sparcstation (no other choice,
>thats all it runs on)......

>Anyway, we have a database system by ASK that requires "block mode"
>terminal emulation.

>How can I emulate this on my Sparc so I can have access to our HP and be
>a team player here ????

I'm not sure about Sparc, but here in the factory we run a program called
'hpterm' on our HP 300 workstations to talk to the series 900 MPE XL systems.
It is used in conjunction with 'vt3k'.
(I also use hpterm to talk to 300 and 800s.)

I'm not sure if HP would want to port this program to SUN, but you could
ask you sales representative.

Maybe you need to buy one HP workstation to run the software?  :-)

coolidge@speaker.sgi.com (Don Coolidge) (12/21/90)

In article <52129@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>My company uses an HP3000/960 for their MIS/data processing
>dept. I in Engineering run a software package on a SUN
>Sparcstation (no other choice, thats all it runs on)......
>
>Anyway, we have a database system by ASK that requires
>"block mode" terminal emulation.
>
>How can I emulate this on my Sparc so I can have access to
>our HP and be a team player here ????
>
>This is urgent, please offer any suggestion you can.

Access to the HP3000 will take more than just block mode terminal emulation,
if that access is to be over a network.

HP3000/960 runs the MPE/XL operating system. Native MPE/XL communicates
over a LAN using IEEE802.3 packet encapsulation exclusively, not Ethernet.
It resolves IP addresses to MAC addresses using the HP-proprietary Probe
protocol. Neither Ethernet nor ARP are supported.

Your Sparcstation uses _only_ Ethernet and ARP. Without a common address
resolution protocol or encapsulation method, the two boxes can't understand
each other. Hence, you have a certain interoperability problem...

There are a few solutions.

1) You could put a (cisco/Wellfleet/HP) gateway in between the two boxes; those
   particular gateways speak both ARP and Probe, and both Ethernet and 802.3.
   Note: the HP gateway could be any HP unix box; I also saw HP-labelled
   routers at the HP booth at InterOp last October.

2) You could contact your HP rep to find out if ARP and Ethernet are supported
   on MPE/XL yet - they've been supported on MPE/V for some time now, but I
   don't know what the current state of affairs is on XL. In any event, it
   probably wouldn't be part of the native MPE/XL release, but would be an
   add-on.

3) Of course, if your access to the 3000/960 is to be by something other than
   a network (modem w/Sparcstation as dumb terminal, or some such), none of
   these problems apply.

This interoperability situation (HP3000<->Unix box) is one that comes up often
in this newsgroup. It's surprising how many people get bitten by it.

Fortunately, the solutions are easy.

- Don Coolidge
coolidge@speaker.wpd.sgi.com

mathmyka@cosmo.UUCP (Mathias Myka) (01/03/91)

Ethernet seems to be supported on HP 3000/9xx systems if
you have the latest release of MPE XL (2.2) and NS/3000 XL.
--
Mathias Myka
Memmingen, F.R. of Germany

bla@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Brad Ahlf) (01/04/91)

> Ethernet seems to be supported on HP 3000/9xx systems if
> you have the latest release of MPE XL (2.2) and NS/3000 XL.

The recent releases of HP3000 "Classic" (MPE/V) systems also
support Ethernet.  I'm not sure of the actual release numbers.

Brad Ahlf
bla@hpda.hp.com

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

gustavo@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Gustavo Paffen) (01/11/91)

Yes, with NS3000 2.2 for the 9xx series you can get (among other things):
Ethernet, UDP, multiple X.25 links per IP address, FTP...

Gustavo Paffen
Information Networks Division